Maybe I'm too old for games?

• Every time I think getting back into gaming is a good idea I'm quickly reminded that I just don't have the attention span for it any more. I can't believe the amount of time I spent at AH just to get mediocre.. I used to LOVE those WWII campaign games.. I remember watching Band of Brothers for the first time and there's one scene where they're sneaking through trenches and blowing up AA guns. It REALLY weirded me out with the sense of deja vu I was getting from it.. Then I realized it was in part of Brother in Arms (I think it was that one). I used to play all of those games. I just don't have the patience for any of that stuff anymore. Plus, I get guilty wasting time on it when I have SO MANY other worthwhile things I could be doing...

• This one will set you back just 20 bucks, and a whole lot of time better spent.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Should anyone endeavor to create a new shared Valheim server I recommend it be agreed only new characters allowed and no cheats. There are lots of ways to cheat and it can spoil the game. Has to be by agreement as there's no way to enforce it. An unenforceable rule should be that the character created to play on that server plays only on that server.

Once I beat the bosses before the recent Mistlands update I enjoyed the various cheats primarily for building without having to collect resources. I could start over from scratch on a new server and have fun.

• Everquest probably hastened it's demise. If I remember the timelines right.

I doubt it. Ultima was way more popular, and it's still around. WoW took over everything.

After the first couple of years they nerfed the shit out of it by making it less "anything goes" and began making changes that slowly killed it off.

There was nothing like it when it came out.

• Every time I think getting back into gaming is a good idea I'm quickly reminded that I just don't have the attention span for it any more. I can't believe the amount of time I spent at AH just to get mediocre.. I used to LOVE those WWII campaign games.. I remember watching Band of Brothers for the first time and there's one scene where they're sneaking through trenches and blowing up AA guns. It REALLY weirded me out with the sense of deja vu I was getting from it.. Then I realized it was in part of Brother in Arms (I think it was that one). I used to play all of those games. I just don't have the patience for any of that stuff anymore. Plus, I get guilty wasting time on it when I have SO MANY other worthwhile things I could be doing...

that's why I think I'm just too old for them.

• This one will set you back just 20 bucks, and a whole lot of time better spent.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

never liked games like that. I like real people and a persistent world that the players control. I like non-consensual combat and the rush of trying to survive.

Ultima Online had everything. It was by far the best game that I've ever played.

• Throughout the 90's I had a room for my computer and that of my youngest son. He played the adventure games I didn't have time for then. Baldour's Gate was one of his favorites. I remeber him getting frustrated when someone would kill him and camp his body in Ultima Online. I suggested he quit playing. He didn't until Everquest came along. Then briefly World of Warcraft. College and all the accouterments became much more interesting.

That's him on the far right. Coincidentally he was a member of the same fraternity the guy who was killed with the three girls in Idaho a month ago.

Daniel.jpg

• World of Warcraft was less painful in that regard which is probably why many millions of people played it for almost two decades now. Though as a mage I hated having a rogue pop up from stealth on me while I was leveling alone. Bastards.