Maybe I'm too old for games?

• actually, your ghost could be seen. If you tried to talk the only thing that came out was "ooooh ooooh" or something like that. Other players could also resurrect you, or you could go find an NPC wandering healer.

It was such a complex and interesting game. The world was 100 percent persistent. The economy and everything in the game, almost, was controlled by events caused by the players.

I wish there was a modern equivalent.

• apparently there are illegal player severs - running a version of the original game.

this guy explains some of what makes this game so incredible. It was/is so dynamic.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Wouldn't you rather fight and build on a server with 10 friends than 200 people you don't know?

nope. I like that the outlands server has thousands on at any given moment. I hate games that are basically just a series of "quests"

Same reason I'd never play DCS.

UO is dynamic and anything can happen. It's exciting. You meet people. Shit happens and is always happening.

The UO server apparently has the participation/blessing of the game's creator.

• I want to be able to pop on ay any given time and have shit going on. I don't want to coordinate with three friends just to go around killing NPC crap and exploring. That's the most boring thing in the world to me.

I might try that UO outlands game. It looks like it could be fun.

UO OUTLANDS - An Ultima Online Shard
    UO Outlands - Experience Ultima Online's largest freeshard and active server population
    uooutlands.com

• What was that FPS back in the early 2000's with the hot chick 007 type? There were at least two installments. I really enjoyed that. I made all the way through the first one once without firing a shot. There's no way I could do that now.

All Government is Organized Crime.

• Games like Ultima Online, World of Warcraft, etc... are time based games. By that I mean your ability to achieve goals and beat up other players is almost entirely based on how much time you have spent grinding for levels and gear. Skill is a factor but minimally. DCS on the other hand is entirely based on skill. A first time noob can enter the arena with exactly the same gear and "skill points" as a seasoned veteran. The only difference is in knowledge and ability. Apples and Oranges. I like both.

• Games like Ultima Online, World of Warcraft, etc... are time based games. By that I mean your ability to achieve goals and beat up other players is almost entirely based on how much time you have spent grinding for levels and gear. Skill is a factor but minimally. DCS on the other hand is entirely based on skill. A first time noob can enter the arena with exactly the same gear and "skill points" as a seasoned veteran. The only difference is in knowledge and ability. Apples and Oranges. I like both.

not at all. I once bought a character, maxed out stats. A famous character in UO. That shit takes a lot of skill. You just have no idea how many things you have to control at once in a fight with another player.

DCS , to me, will never even interest me. What is it , a maximum of 24 players? Boring.

And UO has no "goals". It's the perfect sandbox game. Completely random things going on. Complex interactions that lead t p fights, battles and even wars. It's the perfect role playing, pvp game. It's very complex and interactive. And it's all fluid - and one seamless world. No "entering zones" and waiting for an instance to change into a dungeon - you just walk in. Seamless.

• Iron, you're the kind of guy that likes to just poke around in a game alone and fight NPCs. To me that's boring as fuck. But you go ahead and have fun doing what's fun for you. Why do you take everything personally? I don't give two fucks what you think about any game that I might like.

Good night, bald one. I'm past my bedtime/

• Server Population & Player Count - MMO Populations
    Ultima Online player count, server population, subscribers and game activity stats (aka ultimaonline).
    mmo-population.com

We estimate the daily player count of Ultima Online to be 4,707, with a total player base of 495,472.

GAME DATA

• Subscribers: 495,472
    • Daily Players: 4,707
    • Genres: RPG, Massively Multiplayer
    • Platforms: PC
    • Released: 1997-09-25