A privilege that I dread

• It was a long day yesterday and today will last forever. Yesterday started with a 4am wakeup from my dad telling me that my mom had some stomach pain last night and they went to the ER. The surgeon had just called to tell him to say she had less than a 5% chance of survival and now was the time for goodbyes. The day was chaotic and painful as a constant flow people dropped by to say their goodbyes but she has held in there. I'm not looking forward to the family meeting at 10 as I know how it is going to go. Today I will have the privilege of holding my moms hand as she dies and that moment is going to live with me forever.

It is easy to get lost in so many things that don't matter. Those things take away from the what does matter and be cherished.

• My condolences. For this particular experience I do have words. Tomorrow is the 10th anniversary of my Daddy's death. I was there with my momma and gave him his last kiss on his forehead as he used to do to me when I was a boy.

We're all carbon and ether. The ethereal will reunite.

Many blessings and with tears in my eyes I say to you enjoy it. You're being the son you should be.

I'm not certain I want membership in a club with standards so low as to allow me membership.

• Sorry to hear, RR. Mine passed on the 25th last month. Had plans to visit on the 22nd but a circumstance got in the way. She texted that evening to say she hoped my week would go smoother. She was already gone by the time I got the call. I can't be certain if having the opportunity to say goodbye would be have been better for me or not, but please forgive me if I envy you a little bit for your privilege.

Prayers for peace for you and all of yours.

Brauno in a previous life, followed by LTARget. E25280 on the Forum.

SWtarget in last AH in game incarnation.

"Proudly drawing fire so my brothers may pass unharmed."

Brauno in World of Tanks.

"What is, is. What was, will be. What will be, was, but will be again." - Horseshack from Welcome Back Kotter

• Thanks for the kind words. My mom actually rallied and things looked somewhat hopeful until taking a turn for the worse when she picked up pneumonia and her lungs began to fail. We respected her wishes and gave her the care and comfort of having her family with her as she faded away. I did have the privilege of holding her hand and although it was the most brutal experience of my life I'm glad we were able to go through the process together and without regrets.

• Very sorry to read this RR, condolences from my family and I.

Reading your posts in this thread brings back memories for me, my mother wasn't ambulatory the last few years of her life, and I was her caregiver along with home care nurses (came 3x a week for 20 mins). She wanted to stay in her home, which she did due to me and my missus standing up for the duty of caring for her. I held her hand too when her kidneys finally failed, and she died in 20 mins after speaking her final words completely normally.

I felt it was the worst day of my life too, but now 5 years later, I realized it was a gift. I hope you'll eventually feel the same way RR. Whatever happens, it'll take time, my only advice is to give yourself that time. Again, I'm very sorry to read this, we'll be thinking and praying for you.