Gear thread

• It looks pretty much brand new. I don't even remember where I got this guitar from originally. I don't think I bought it brand new because I wouldn't have bought a Chinese guitar brand new. I probably got it off of OfferUp or something. But I really don't know.

Everything seems to be pretty nice on the guitar though. Except maybe the tuners. The tuners are sort of loose in the neck and they're only held in by the screws from the back. And some of the screws are stripped.

When the strings are on it they hold in fine though but I want to get that fixed.

Mystic Black? That's cool. This is a really stunning looking finish whatever it is. I'm so pissed that there's a couple of dings in the clear coat. And the pine dents pretty easily I think. But really the guitars in pretty awesome shape.

• I ordered an Apollo solo interface last week from Sweetwater. I'm going to use it with my new laptop. I'm thinking about buying a nice carrying case that will hold the laptop, the interface, and a little tiny portable hard drive that I've got. Maybe a microphone.

But the unit was supposed to be delivered yesterday. So I have tracking notifications to keep an eye on it so I can run home when it gets delivered.

And wouldn't you know it it didn't get delivered and it stopped updating yesterday. So now there's no delivery estimate, but FedEx says it's on its way still. So that kind of sucks.

• My interface suddenly started tracking last night and then it was delivered this morning. I was beginning to get worried after reading how other people have been having their packages held up in Rialto for even weeks.

So here she is! I'm going to use it for my laptop as a portable rig. The UAD interfaces are on sale right now because I think they're going to come out with a new line of stuff pretty soon. That's what I've been hearing. I don't care. This is just for my laptop, but it's a good unit.

It's got built-in DSP processing so you can run UAD plugins, which it comes with. It comes with 18 of them. So you can basically record real time with the plugins with no delay or latency. It also has built-in preamp modeling of their own preamps that they make. So I'm excited to get to try this out pretty soon.

I went home to get it and I also grabbed my telecaster and some headphones. If I get a chance I'll plug it in at work here otherwise I'll just take it home and mess with it later.

• The unboxing. In pictures instead of video. Lol.

Seriously, this thing comes in a slick box. It's foam lined. The unit itself is heavy and made of metal with a felt bottom. I mean this really feels high quality. Even the little registration card that it comes with is cool. It's thick hard cardboard with a cool picture on the back.

I know packaging is just packaging but really it makes it seem like you're getting a quality unit.

And I bought it at Sweetwater so they included the thunderbolt cable.

• If you were using a decent PA with good foldback you could get away with just that and a couple of peddles like a chorus, delay and reverb. I'm old school and would still probably run it into a clean amp.

• Yeah well,

Just came back from the coast. Ran into a cat I've known since college, he's still peripherally involved in gear marketing and pro sound. Always turning up with neat stuff.

Couldn't wait to show off his Quad Cortex...I think. Seems like a pretty impressive box. What struck me is the interface is pretty clear and easy to run. At room levels it sounded nice. Great idea for covers. I think making a record with one would cause brain damage.

• I think you would find that pretty much any major act under thirty is using amp modelers exclusively. they're not even putting the fake stacks on the stage anymore.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

All Government is Organized Crime.

• Next time I spend a lot of money on something it's going to be one of these, similar to those tech 21 things but with a power amp. It would do everything I could possibly need.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.