new study! People living in rural areas are neurotic, close-minded, depressed and have no sense of fullfillment

• lol.

In the future, everyone will probably be forced to live in cities and eat bugs. Much healthier and a more fulfilling life.

While both settings have their ups and downs, researchers from the University of Houston are encouraging more people to pack up and head toward more urban areas.

Here's why living in the country may actually hurt your mental health
    While both settings have their ups and downs, researchers from the University of Houston are encouraging more people to pack up and head toward more urban…
    studyfinds.org

HOUSTON — The grass (or pavement) is always greener. Plenty of people who live in cities dream of one day packing their bags and retiring to a much more natural setting filled with wide open spaces, but many residing in more rural regions often wonder about life in a big city. While both settings have their ups and downs, researchers from the University of Houston are encouraging more people to pack up and head toward more urban areas.

Their study finds that Americans who live in rural areas tend to be more anxious and depressed, less open-minded, and more neurotic. Additionally, people living “in the country” displayed lower levels of life satisfaction and less purpose, or meaning in life, than those living in urban areas.

Importantly, the project also highlights disparities in access to mental health services as a potential major factor driving these psychological differences.

Since 2010, there has been a surge in rural hospital closures, contributing to a reduction in the health care provider workforce – including, of course, mental health professionals. Close to 85 percent of all rural counties are dealing with a mental health professional shortage, despite rural residents actually requesting more psychological services.

“It will be critical to improve access to psychological services in remote areas and to identify how characteristics and values of rural communities can be leveraged to promote positive psychological health,” says Olivia Atherton, assistant professor of psychology, in a university release.

:cage

• My town has a pub and a pie shop. That's it. There's a trendy cafe/restaurant that never seems to be open so I'm not counting it, the motor mechanic or the auto wrecking yard. The last thing I want to do is move to more people. It's about the length of a rural airstrp.

• I left an urban city after spending a half century there growing up and working there. I went on the road living in our RV for almost 14 years also avoiding large cities and was pretty darn happy. Now I live outside of a small town in a quiet peaceful environment. Still pretty damn content. I'd say the study folks came to the conclusions the money supplier required. Logic and actual accuracy to reality unrequired.

• The study most likely didn't survey folks that started off living in a city and then had the means to move to a rural area. I'm sure a lot of folks that were born and raised in a rural area, with a low income probably are anxious and depressed. Just like anyone would be when you're wondering if you can make the rent and buy food.

• Depending on the ethics of the study funding source as well as the study researcher, one can make a study say whatever you want it to. I never trust any study that does not cite the source of the study, especially polls, and have the raw data available to examine. The one semester of statistics I took in college in the 70's was taught by a Professor who was a dedicated skeptic, who demonstrated how a study can be skewed.

• This is related to the mentality.

B.C. man shocked to discover health file described him as a 'redneck hick' | CBC News
    A Merritt, B.C., man says he was shocked to discover that notes from his physiotherapist in his official worker’s compensation file used derogatory comments to…
    www.cbc.ca

A Merritt, B.C., man says he was shocked to discover that notes from his physiotherapist in his official worker's compensation file used derogatory comments to describe him and his injuries.

Robert Munro, 37, hurt his back in December while on the job, delivering furniture. He filed a WorkSafeBC claim and ended up in physiotherapy.

But while reviewing his WorkSafeBC file, he came across comments referring to him as a "redneck hick to death" and an "uneducated massive redneck p—y," and claimed he was "playing the system."

"The [physiotherapist] was really nice right up front," Munro told Daybreak Kamloops guest host Doug Herbert.

He said it made him feel uncomfortable about returning to that physiotherapist for care.

Munro says his file has since been edited to remove the inappropriate comments, and was told by his case manager it was so he didn't have to relive seeing it every time he logged on to WorkSafe for information about his case.

But, he said, he was sure to keep screenshots of the initial report, which he has shown to CBC.

He has also been referred to another physiotherapist at a different clinic.

Munro says he would like an apology from the physiotherapist. Beyond that, he said, he's still too angry to know how he wants the situation to be rectified.

"A major apology would be nice," he said.