Hearing frequency test

• Of course this is not a perfect test. Depends on your headphones or speakers/room.

Play the video and stop it when you can no longer hear anything. I got up to just 14k on both my akg headset and my speakers,

You can also tell the frequency response of your room. If you listen in headphones you might hear some volume changes in left/right or both ears. That's probably your actual ears repsonse.

Then listen through speakers. You might hear low and low mids changing volume quite a lot. That's your room or sitting position. I like to take note of this so I know what my room is doing.

My room has a little dropoff around 290 Hz but otherwise is pretty flat. I can hear some shifts in volume from left to right in higher frequencies - and that's the room .

I was mixing the other night and noticed one speakers was slightly louder. Well... that was me. My ears are still a little fucked up from the cold.

:bedtime

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yeah I started more feeling it at the very low frequencies but I don't think that's the point of it. Kind of depends on what you're playing it back on if it can reproduce that or not.

I think what they're aiming at is to see what the highest frequency you can hear is. At least that's what the instructions were saying.

It's hard to tell exactly but I got up to about 13 900 something. Really just 14 I would say.

I was watching a video where a producer and mastering engineer was talking about hearing loss and how all the better producers are usually older than 30 or 40 even. And they all have hearing loss but they make up for it in other ways and I was reading about that. It's very interesting.

He was also saying that the key is to listen not your actual hearing ability. I mean yeah, you have to have some hearing ability. Lol but I think it's more important to know how things are supposed to sound with what you're listening to them on.

• around 11 kHz. You've got to be careful with the low frequency. You may THINK you're hearing it but what you're really hearing is the sub's voicecoil and the port pumping air. I couldn't actually margin HEARING the test tone until around 35 hz.

• Oh another thing. Usually our ears are not going to be the same between the left and right.

I'm pretty sensitive to volume changes when I'm mixing as far as stereo goes. And like I said, I've had this cold and I thought my right speaker maybe that I bumped the gain knob or something because it was slightly lower than the left and I couldn't figure out what was going on.

It was my ear.

So that's why they say to check your mix in mono from one speaker. Because you can tell if something is sticking out in the mix that we might not catch in stereo, because our ears might not be the same. Or even in your room the speakers might be giving you different responses from where they're located.