Law and Order

  • "intersectionality"


    External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    that's why all of those fucks need to be wiped out of Gaza and the place razed to the ground.

  • It's like those Black American guys who went to the Soviet Union starting in the 1930s (looking for a fair shake). There was serious talk of creating a black state/province/oblast whatever inside of the USSR. Everything was pretty good for them for the first couple of years, but they found that they were just as "discriminated" against after all the propaganda tours were over with (ended up with factory floor sweeper jobs, constantly abused by the the other Russian workers and supervisors.


    Some expressed the desire to go home...


    They all ended up in Siberian Gulags and were worked to death. Every last one.

  • Totalitarians will use you. At first they use you to gain power as a useful idiot. Then after they take over, they will use you as disposable slave. If you act up in the slightest, it's a death sentence.

  • https://www.yahoo.com/news/ex-officer-derek-chauvin-convicted-023144387.html




    Ex-officer Derek Chauvin, convicted in George Floyd’s killing, stabbed in prison


    The Associated Press
    Fri, November 24, 2023 at 6:31 PM PST·4 min read



    c59bbc5d8edc769e41acc9655ef1c894



    Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murdering George Floyd, was stabbed by another inmate and seriously injured Friday at a federal prison in Arizona, a person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press.

    The attack happened at the Federal Correctional Institution, Tucson, a medium-security prison that has been plagued by security lapses and staffing shortages. The person was not authorized to publicly discuss details of the attack and spoke to the AP on the condition of anonymity.

    Woman taken to hospital after shooting inside East Side grocery store

    The Bureau of Prisons confirmed that an incarcerated person was assaulted at FCI Tucson at around 12:30 p.m. local time Friday. In a statement, the agency said responding employees contained the incident and performed “life-saving measures” before the inmate, who it did not name, was taken to a hospital for further treatment and evaluation.

    No employees were injured and the FBI was notified, the Bureau of Prisons said. Visiting at the facility, which has about 380 inmates, has been suspended.

    Messages seeking comment were left with Chauvin’s lawyers and the FBI.

    Chauvin’s stabbing is the second high-profile attack on a federal prisoner in the last five months. In July, disgraced sports doctor Larry Nassar was stabbed by a fellow inmate at a federal penitentiary in Florida.

    It is also the second major incident at the Tucson federal prison in a little over a year. In November 2022, an inmate at the facility’s low-security prison camp pulled out a gun and attempted to shoot a visitor in the head. The weapon, which the inmate shouldn’t have had, misfired and no one was hurt.

    Chauvin, 47, was sent to FCI Tucson from a maximum-security Minnesota state prison in August 2022 to simultaneously serve a 21-year federal sentence for violating Floyd’s civil rights and a 22½-year state sentence for second-degree murder.

    Chauvin’s lawyer, Eric Nelson, had advocated for keeping him out of general population and away from other inmates, anticipating he’d be a target. In Minnesota, Chauvin was mainly kept in solitary confinement “largely for his own protection,” Nelson wrote in court papers last year.

    Last week, the U.S. Supreme Court rejected Chauvin’s appeal of his murder conviction. Separately, Chauvin is making a longshot bid to overturn his federal guilty plea, claiming new evidence shows he didn’t cause Floyd’s death.

    Floyd, who was Black, died on May 25, 2020, after Chauvin, who is white, pressed a knee on his neck for 9½ minutes on the street outside a convenience store where Floyd was suspected of trying to pass a counterfeit $20 bill.

    Bystander video captured Floyd’s fading cries of “I can’t breathe.” His death touched off protests worldwide, some of which turned violent, and forced a national reckoning with police brutality and racism.

    Three other former officers who were at the scene received lesser state and federal sentences for their roles in Floyd’s death.

    Chauvin’s stabbing comes as the federal Bureau of Prisons has faced increased scrutiny in recent years following wealthy financier Jeffrey Epstein’s jail suicide in 2019. It’s another example of the agency’s inability to keep even its highest profile prisoners safe after Nassar’s stabbing and “Unabomber” Ted Kaczynski’s suicide at a federal medical center in June.

    An ongoing AP investigation has uncovered deep, previously unreported flaws within the Bureau of Prisons, the Justice Department’s largest law enforcement agency with more than 30,000 employees, 158,000 inmates and an annual budget of about $8 billion.

    AP reporting has revealed rampant sexual abuse and other criminal conduct by staff, dozens of escapes, chronic violence, deaths and severe staffing shortages that have hampered responses to emergencies, including inmate assaults and suicides.

    Bureau of Prisons Director Colette Peters was brought in last year to reform the crisis-plagued agency. She vowed to change archaic hiring practices and bring new transparency, while emphasizing that the agency’s mission is “to make good neighbors, not good inmates.”

    Testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee in September, Peters touted steps she’d taken to overhaul problematic prisons and beef up internal affairs investigations. This month, she told a House Judiciary subcommittee that hiring had improved and that new hires were outpacing retirements and other departures.

    But Peters has also irritated lawmakers who said she reneged on her promise to be candid and open with them. In September, senators scolded her for forcing them to wait more than a year for answers to written questions and for claiming that she couldn’t answer basic questions about agency operations, like how many correctional officers are on staff.


  • https://www.yahoo.com/news/georgia-prosecutors-oppose-plea-deals-100024605.html




    Georgia prosecutors oppose plea deals for Tinyhands, Meadows and Giuliani


    Hugo Lowell
    Tue, November 28, 2023 at 2:00 AM PST·4 min read



    <span>Photograph: Washington Post/Getty Images</span>




    Fulton county prosecutors do not intend to offer plea deals to Donald Trump and at least two high-level co-defendants charged in connection with their efforts to overturn the 2020 election in Georgia, according to two people familiar with the matter, preferring instead to force them to trial.

    The individuals seen as ineligible include Trump, his former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, and Trump’s former lawyer Rudy Giuliani.

    Aside from those three, the Fulton county district attorney Fani Willis has opened plea talks or has left open the possibility of talks with the remaining co-defendants in the hope that they ultimately decide to become cooperating witnesses against the former president, the people said.

    Related: Trump’s ‘intolerance towards everyone’ encourages hate, Chris Christie says

    The previously unreported decision has not been communicated formally and could still change, for instance, if prosecutors shift strategy. But it signals who prosecutors consider their main targets, and how they want to wield the power of Georgia’s racketeering statute to their advantage.

    A spokesperson for the district attorney’s office declined to comment.

    Trump and 18 co-defendants in August originally pleaded not guilty to a sprawling indictment that charged them with violating the Rico statute in seeking to reverse his 2020 election defeat in the state, including by advancing fake Trump electors and breaching voting machines.

    In the weeks that followed, prosecutors reached plea deals in quick succession with the former Trump lawyers Sidney Powell, Jenna Ellis and Kenneth Chesebro – who all gave “proffer” statements that were damaging to Trump to some degree – as well as the local bail bondsman Scott Hall.

    The plea deals underscore the strategy that Willis has refined over successive Rico prosecutions: extending offers to lower-level defendants in which they plead guilty to key crimes and incriminate higher-level defendants in the conspiracy pyramid.

    As the figure at the top of the alleged conspiracy, Trump was always unlikely to get a deal. But the inclusion of Meadows and Giuliani on that list, at least for now, provides the clearest roadmap to date of how prosecutors intend to take the case to trial.

    The preference for the district attorney’s office remains to flip as many of the Trump co-defendants as possible, one of the people said, and prosecutors have asked the Fulton county superior court judge Scott McAfee to set the final deadline for plea deals as far back as June 2024.

    At least some of the remaining co-defendants are likely to reach plea deals should they fall short in their pre-trial attempts to extricate themselves from Trump, including trying to have their individual cases transferred to federal court, or have their individual charges dismissed outright.

    The prosecutors on the Trump case appear convinced that they are close to gaining more cooperating witnesses. In recent weeks, one of the people said, prosecutors privately advised the judge to delay setting a trial date because some co-defendants may soon plead out, one of the people said.

    On Monday, former Trump lawyer and co-defendant John Eastman asked the judge to allow him to go to trial separately from the former president, and earlier than the August 2024 trial date proposed by prosecutors. Eastman also asked for the final plea deal deadline to be moved forward.

    The court filing from Eastman reflected the apparent trepidation among a growing number of Trump allies charged in Fulton county about standing trial alongside Trump as a major Rico ringleader, a prospect widely seen as detrimental to anyone other than Trump.

    In a statement, Trump’s lawyer Steve Sadow suggested the former president was uninterested in reaching a deal. “Any comment by the Fulton county district attorney’s office offering ‘deals’ to President Trump is laughable because we wouldn’t accept anything except dismissal,” Sadow said.

    But the lack of a plea deal would be a blow to Meadows. The Guardian previously reported that the former Trump White House chief of staff has been “in the market” for a deal in Georgia after he managed to evade charges in the federal 2020 election subversion case in Washington after testifying under limited-use immunity.

    It was unclear why prosecutors are opposed to negotiating with Meadows, though the fact that he only testified in Washington after being ordered by a court suggested he might only be a reluctant witness. Reached by phone on Monday, Meadows’s local counsel declined to comment.

    The lawyers for Giuliani, meanwhile, have long said he never expected a plea deal offer. Giuliani’s associates have also suggested he wanted to remain loyal to Trump, who is scheduled to host a dinner at Mar-a-Lago in December to raise money to pay for his compounding legal debts.


  • Derek Chauvin, Ex-Cop Convicted Of Murdering George Floyd, Was Stabbed 22 Times By Fellow Inmate – Update
    UPDATED with new details: The inmate who attacked Derek Chauvin, the onetime Minneapolis police officer convicted in 2021 of murdering George Floyd, stabbed…
    deadline.com



    Derek Chauvin, Ex-Cop Convicted Of Murdering George Floyd, Was Stabbed 22 Times By Fellow Inmate – Update


    By Tom Tapp




    December 1, 2023 2:26pm

    Derek Chauvin mug shot

    UPDATED with new details: The inmate who attacked Derek Chauvin, the onetime Minneapolis police officer convicted in 2021 of murdering George Floyd, stabbed the former cop 22 times according to multiple reports. Chauvin is serving a sentence of 22 and a half years in prison.

    The details were released in charging documents obtained by AP and other outlets. They identify the alleged assailant as John Turscak.

    Turscak, who allegedly used an improvised knife, told FBI investigators that he attacked Chauvin on Black Friday for what he saw as symbolic connection to the Black Lives Matter movement and the “Black Hand,” a symbol associated with the Mexican Mafia.

    Turscak now faces charges of attempted murder, assault with intent to commit murder, assault with a dangerous weapon, and assault resulting in serious bodily injury.

    PREVIOUSLY on November 24: Derek Chauvin, the onetime Minneapolis police officer convicted in 2021 of murdering George Floyd, has been stabbed in prison and is seriously injured, according to multiple reports. Chauvin was reportedly stabbed by another inmate.

    The Federal Bureau of Prisons would not identify the victim, but it did confirm to the AP that an inmate was stabbed at 12:30 p.m. at the Federal Correctional Institution, Tucson, which is the medium-security prison where Chauvin is housed. EMTs on site “initiated lifesaving measures,” according to the New York Times, before transferring the victim to the hospital.

    The 2020 murder of George Floyd by 19-year MPD veteran Chauvin occurred as three other officers looked on and Floyd exclaimed he couldn’t breathe. Despite that, Chauvin pressed his knee on the man’s neck for almost 10 minutes. The incident and video of it sparked a wave of protests across the country.

    Chauvin was later convicted and sentenced to 22 and a half years in prison.

    On Monday, the Supreme Court rejected Chauvin’s appeal of his conviction.

  • Nevada Charges Republican Party Leaders in 2020 Fake Elector Scheme
    The six Republicans charged on Wednesday included the state party’s chairman and vice chairman as well as the chairman of the Republican Party in Clark County.
    www.nytimes.com




    Nevada Charges Republican Party Leaders in 2020 Fake Elector Scheme

    The six Republicans charged on Wednesday included the state party’s chairman and vice chairman as well as the chairman of the Republican Party in Clark County.


    The Nevada Republican Party chairman, Michael J. McDonald, second from left, during a news conference in Las Vegas last year. Mr. McDonald and five other Nevada Republicans were charged in the fake elector scheme.Credit...Haiyun Jiang/The New York Times

    Michael McDonald stands in a small group of people outside. They are looking to the left of the frame.

    Chris Cameron

    By Chris Cameron

    Dec. 6, 2023Updated 5:52 p.m. ET

    A Nevada grand jury indicted top leaders of the state’s Republican Party on charges of forging and submitting fraudulent documents in the fake elector scheme to overturn Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s victory in the 2020 presidential election, the state’s attorney general announced on Wednesday.

    The six Republicans charged, who claimed to be electors for Donald J. Trump, included the chairman of the state party, Michael J. McDonald. Also included are Jim Hindle, the state party’s vice chairman; Jim DeGraffenreid, a national committeeman; Jesse Law, the chairman of the Republican Party in Clark County, home to Las Vegas; and Shawn Meehan and Eileen Rice, executive board members of the Republican Party in Douglas County.

    “When the efforts to undermine faith in our democracy began after the 2020 election, I made it clear that I would do everything in my power to defend the institutions of our nation and our state,” Aaron D. Ford, Nevada’s attorney general and a Democrat, said in a statement. “We cannot allow attacks on democracy to go unchallenged. Today’s indictments are the product of a long and thorough investigation, and as we pursue this prosecution, I am confident that our judicial system will see justice done.”

    The charges are the latest in a nationwide effort by officials to prosecute those who falsely portrayed themselves as state electors in an effort to overturn Mr. Trump’s defeat in 2020. Michigan’s attorney general charged 16 Republicans in July for a similar effort in the state.

    The plan involved creating false slates of electors pledged to Mr. Trump in seven swing states that were won by Mr. Biden in an effort to overturn the election.

    Kenneth Chesebro, a key player in the fake elector scheme, is listed as a witness in the Nevada indictments. Mr. Chesebro had earlier pleaded guilty in a criminal racketeering indictment in Georgia that accused him of conspiring to overturn the 2020 election. Mr. Chesebro had also agreed to cooperate with state prosecutors in that case.

    The six Republicans were each charged in similar four-page indictments with one count of forging certificates designating Nevada’s electoral votes for Mr. Trump, even though Mr. Biden won the state in 2020. They were also each charged with one count of knowingly submitting these fake certificates to state and federal officials.

    If convicted, the false electors face a combined maximum of nine years in prison and $15,000 in fines.

    Chris Cameron is based in the Washington bureau.