Ukraine war thoughts and opinions.

• If only America was on another planet unaffected by nuclear winter, with its own atmosphere where the trade winds wouldn't carry the fallout...

The group that wants to win will always beat the group that wants to be left alone.

• This whole thread sounds like 1939-1941 all over again. I put this in another thread:

Today I am hearing people in the consulting retired military call arming Ukraine "Lend-Lease".

"The Lend-Lease Act, approved by Congress in March 1941, had given President Roosevelt virtually unlimited authority to direct material aid such as ammunition, tanks, airplanes, trucks, and food to the war effort in Europe without violating the nation's official position of neutrality."

It's going to take more than China attacking Taiwan, we are going to wake up one morning and see someone has attacked us. The gasoline has been spread, all we need is a match.

• Toad brought up a really salient point about air defenses. The manpads we’ve given the Ukrainians are great against helos and other low altitude a/c, but you have to visually acquire the tgt and lock on. Not very effective against fast movers in flat, heavily forested terrain. We should be funneling as many sam systems that the Ukrainians are already familiar with and trained on that we can lay our hands on. Deny the Ivans any semblance of air domination ala our experience in Vietnam. Let the Ukrainians smack the shit out of the Red Air Force like timmy the taliban did back in the 80’s.

• We really have not ever invested in top line ground based anti-air missiles or artillery in any quantities.

Our Army depends on our Air Force too much IMO. Someday we will pay for this oversight.

• "Having failed in its attempt to rebuild the Syrian Army and have it assume the lead in the war, Russia has been quietly reinforcing its contingent in Syria, which some estimates now put as high as 13,000. Russia's struggle to extricate itself from Syria is a problem."

Turkey has cut off resupply to Syria. Russia is fighting on two fronts.

• Here's an interesting twist on the situation:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

Our foreign policy message makes no sense. I just heard biden's speech on the radio. I don't know what the fuck or when it was I think it was this morning.

In this he said that we will continue to supply Ukraine with the weapons and aid they need to fight the Russian invasion. So I guess lethal aid is fine but transferring the airplanes from Poland is not? It's fucking asinine. You're either in or out.

• Official Post

Oh it was a press conference. And one of the questions he got at the end was something regarding the possibility that the Russians might use a chemical weapons attack in the Ukraine. Biden's response was that if Russia uses chemical weapons they will pay a severe penalty. Yeah right. What is the severe penalty? If NATO's not going to get involved what are we going to do sanction them more?

I just feel that we have the weakest fucking foreign policy and the stupidest shit being said right now.

The Russians are slaughtering the Ukrainian citizens. I heard a member of the Ukrainian Parliament on an interview yesterday. He was saying that the tactics of the Russians are the same as that they've always been. They want to trap civilians in the city because the civilians use more resources and make the fighting forces less effective.

It's disgusting what the Russians are doing and it's disgusting that we're not lending more weight to a response. In my opinion we should do the right thing and send them the planes anything they need.

Oh the other thing that The Ukrainian Parliament member was saying was that they're not asking for boots on the ground or forces he said we just need the equipment and we will do the job.

• Our foreign policy message makes no sense. I just heard biden's speech on the radio. I don't know what the fuck or when it was I think it was this morning.

In this he said that we will continue to supply Ukraine with the weapons and aid they need to fight the Russian invasion. So I guess lethal aid is fine but transferring the airplanes from Poland is not? It's fucking asinine. You're either in or out.

I didn't here the message, but I think they know where the line is between in and out as both Russia and USA have already defined it. Russia has said what they will do if the USA steps over that line. So the question is first do we want to poke that bear? Second, are we prepared militarily to poke that bear and defend the United States in a nuclear war? And lastly, does it make sense for us to do that, is it worth it? These are probably some of the most difficult questions for the pentagon and the military generals to answer. America has not been faced with a decision or choice like this since the Cuban missile crises and there are way more nukes now so it is a much more difficult situation than the cuban missile crises I think.

• I didn't here the message, but I think they know where the line is between in and out as both Russia and USA have already defined it. Russia has said what they will do if the USA steps over that line. So the question is first do we want to poke that bear? Second, are we prepared militarily to poke that bear and defend the United States in a nuclear war? And lastly, does it make sense for us to do that, is it worth it? These are probably some of the most difficult questions for the pentagon and the military generals to answer. America has not been faced with a decision or choice like this since the Cuban missile crises and there are way more nukes now so it is a much more difficult situation than the cuban missile crises I think.

That's easy for me. The answer is no to all those questions.

A real man loves his woman every day of the month

• Millions of Americans opposed our entry into WWII. For much the same reasons they now oppose our entry into WWIII.

And it didn't matter at all once Pearl Harbor happened. It won't matter this time either.

I hear ya but it may be different this time. Well as long as it stays short of nuclear war. In the digital age it will be much harder to suppress the protests that will occur. I also think if it were come to a draft things would be much different. I can tell you having a child of draft age that I would do anything I could to dissuade him from going. And if I were successful in the first part I would do ANYTHING in my power to keep him from the meatgrinder.

• I hear ya but it may be different this time. Well as long as it stays short of nuclear war. In the digital age it will be much harder to suppress the protests that will occur. I also think if it were come to a draft things would be much different. I can tell you having a child of draft age that I would do anything I could to dissuade him from going. And if I were successful in the first part I would do ANYTHING in my power to keep him from the meatgrinder.

I don't think a draft will be needed, or even wanted. So far this war looks pretty conventional, but if we get involved directly there's no reason to assume it'll stay that way.

As for protests... how much did BLM, Antifa, Jan 6, the Whitmer-sniffers, and the Trumptard Truckers actually change?

• I don't think a draft will be needed, or even wanted. So far this war looks pretty conventional, but if we get involved directly there's no reason to assume it'll stay that way.

As for protests... how much did BLM, Antifa, Jan 6, the Whitmer-sniffers, and the Trumptard Truckers actually change?

Well an unpopular war could band all those groups together, theoretically.

• Well an unpopular war could band all those groups together, theoretically.

Stranger things have happened. But the unpopular wars that come to mind for me are Vietnam and Iraq. They became unpopular when we started obviously losing, and because we had no obvious interest in either war. Putin's War could turn out to be a whole different animal.

If Americans *perceive* and existential threat, and if they *perceive* that the war is going well, IMO it'll remain popular even if things suck on the Home Front. And we both know how easily perceptions can be guided these days.