NATO Estimates 40K Russian Troops Killed, Wounded, Taken Prisoner or Missing

• He still posts over there. He skates a fine line and HT lets him get away with political shit that others would get whacked for posting. IMO.

No facts though; that never changes.

• "Up to 15,000 Russian troops have been killed since Russian President Vladimir Putin launched his attack on Ukraine last month, with as many as 40,000 dead, wounded, taken prisoner or missing, according to NATO estimates."

As I've said before, anything you see/hear/read about this conflict is information shaped by the various sources to elicit some response or effect that the source desires.

That may be an accurate accounting of casualties or it may be Dezinformatsiya from any players or observers.

I would think the only source that knows for sure is the Russian military. They know who isn't answering roll call. I seriously doubt they'll release that information accurately.

That said, it seems to me the Russians pulling back is indicative of things not going well or as planned. An ass kicking in other words.

This was all pointless slaughter. NATO never was and never will be an offensive threat to Russia. Nobody wants a land war in Europe. Nobody. Ukraine was never a threat to Russia either. As far as Russian populations in Ukraine, I doubt they were/are suffering under Ukrainian rule. If so, that could have been worked out without any invasion.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

• . As far as Russian populations in Ukraine, I doubt they were/are suffering under Ukrainian rule. If so, that could have been worked out without any invasion.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

if they were being mistreated... would have been cheaper and easier for putin to offer them asylum. so i too doubt it was about ethnic Russians being badly treated.

• In comparison...

On April 9, 2003, just three weeks into the invasion of Iraq, U.S. forces pull down a bronze statue of Saddam Hussein in Baghdad’s Firdos Square, symbolizing the end of the Iraqi president’s long, often brutal reign, and a major early victory for the United States.

• What I'm currently concerned about is that this supposed Russian withdrawal from the suburbs of Kyiv is a prelude to deploying WMDs. You don't want your own forces anywhere near if you intend to gas the place. Or worse.

The group that wants to win will always beat the group that wants to be left alone.

• And that's that.

And There Was Much Rejoicing GIF by guitarpick8120 | Gfycat

Brauno in a previous life, followed by LTARget. E25280 on the Forum.

SWtarget in last AH in game incarnation.

"Proudly drawing fire so my brothers may pass unharmed."

Brauno in World of Tanks.

"What is, is. What was, will be. What will be, was, but will be again." - Horseshack from Welcome Back Kotter

• What I'm currently concerned about is that this supposed Russian withdrawal from the suburbs of Kyiv is a prelude to deploying WMDs. You don't want your own forces anywhere near if you intend to gas the place. Or worse.

What? You don't think Joey Biden, Leader of the Free World scared Putin back to Moscow with his last few threats gaffes?

Putin tries anything like that and Joey will Cornpop him into next week.

Rode Hard, Put Away Wet

Edited once, last by Toad ().

• Official Post

I agree completely. All points.

Interesting to me. I remember Baroda on flame warriors saying that we were making this up that Russia wanted to invade Ukraine. He was saying things like, why do we want to invade Ukraine and support those useless fucks?

Now borota is saying that it had to be done. Lol!

Russians are fucked up to the core.

• This is what the Chechen capital looked like back in 1999 after the Russians flattened it with artillery and then gassed the rubble just to be sure. The civilian death toll is still not known. Estimates range from 35,000 to 100,000 dead. More or less everyone who was still there.

The group that wants to win will always beat the group that wants to be left alone.

• Official Post

This is what the Chechen capital looked like back in 1999 after the Russians flattened it with artillery and then gassed the rubble just to be sure. The civilian death toll is still not known. Estimates range from 35,000 to 100,000 dead. More or less everyone who was still there.

They would have done that in Ukraine too if the world hadn't reacted so strongly to the invasion.

Standard Russian tactics are - go in, get you asses handed to you then sit back and attack civilians from a distance.

• They would have done that in Ukraine too if the world hadn't reacted so strongly to the invasion.

Standard Russian tactics are - go in, get you asses handed to you then sit back and attack civilians from a distance.

Yup. Because its cheaper and easier and very little training is needed.

• I remember that and I believe people even called him out on it. But he ignores it completely, it's kinda sad to the level of brainwashing. Now he's back to burning us all and "watch for the re-entry trails".

A real man loves his woman every day of the month

• That said, it seems to me the Russians pulling back is indicative of things not going well or as planned. An ass kicking in other words.

Playing the other side here for a second:

Russia's claimed goals of their "special operation" were to "liberate" the two breakaway Donbas areas and "demilitarize" the Ukraine as a threat.

If we were to take this at face value, then a possible strategy to accomplish this is to mount a large scale, multi-prong invasion designed not to take the populated cities, but to draw out the Ukrainian military and defeat it in the field. This leaves Ukraine without the resources to challenge Russia's annexation of the two Donbas territories. There is a certain logic to doing it this way vs. sending your troops into Donbas only, where Ukraine could concentrate it's inferior-in-numbers military and inflict more damage via a more protracted conflict. If this was the strategy, then they could be pulling back for the reasons they state -- they've accomplished what they've set out to do. I've seen very little on the losses Ukraine has sustained, and not sure I would believe any of it in any event, so it's entirely possible Ukraine has suffered equal or larger military losses.

I think key is to look at the Donbas. If at the end of this Russia still holds on to the two separatist areas, then I'm not sure we could say with confidence that Russia did not accomplish it's original goals.

All that said, my gut still tells me that Ukraine not folding in 72 hours with Zalenskyy fleeing the country was a shock to everyone. Even so, I still think annexation of the Donbas, and international recognition of that annexation (and the Crimea) is a likely outcome and one in which Putin can claim total victory.

Brauno in a previous life, followed by LTARget. E25280 on the Forum.

SWtarget in last AH in game incarnation.

"Proudly drawing fire so my brothers may pass unharmed."

Brauno in World of Tanks.

"What is, is. What was, will be. What will be, was, but will be again." - Horseshack from Welcome Back Kotter

Edited once, last by SWTarget ().

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The Ukrainians really have a fighting spirit, don't they?