What's on the Tube?

• Does anyone go to the theater anymore? If you've got a decent TV and sound system, why would you? I keep seeing these appeals from Hollywood types about how "their film is designed to be seen communally"... or some other such silly claptrap.. What the fuck does that even mean?? The film is better with crying babies and assholes on their phones??

Anywho... I don't really have time for TV but I'm trying to get back into the (whatever) season of Better Call Saul that's currently streaming. I'm just way too easily distracted for TV anymore. My favorite thing to do to unwind these days is to put on a good record and surf the interweb tubes...

• I saw Dune in Imax - there is, on rare occasion IMO, a film that comes out that is specifically filmed for Imax or even just a very large screen format - that's when I'll go to the theater. Otherwise, what Storch said - with a home theater room, and 65" OLED tvs in every other room, what's the point? No screaming kids, or retards on their phones, no sticky shoes from soda spilled on the floor from the last tards in the previous showing, and etc.

Amy Winehouse is a huge fav of the missus, and I like her voice too. Shame how she went out, part of the 27 club. Boo hiss.

I need to resume my search for a good turntable setup, and start collecting me some vinyl. I have a ton of bagpipe records from the 80s and early 90s, which makes getting a turntable worth it for me for that reason alone, but I'd really like to start grabbing some stuff I like. Nina Simone, singers like that. There's a great place in Calgary that has tons of new and used records for sale - like I said, I need to get on this again.

• I am REALLY intrigued by the recording process of this album. It's got a throwback appeal to it but sounds modern at the same time. The drums are in mono like an old sixties Motown record but the bass is current and the overall tone is fresh...

• Just rewatched the Henry Fonda flick "12 Angry Men" from 1957. They knew how to do proper character work back then.

The group that wants to win will always beat the group that wants to be left alone.

• I saw Dune in Imax - there is, on rare occasion IMO, a film that comes out that is specifically filmed for Imax or even just a very large screen format - that's when I'll go to the theater. Otherwise, what Storch said - with a home theater room, and 65" OLED tvs in every other room, what's the point? No screaming kids, or retards on their phones, no sticky shoes from soda spilled on the floor from the last tards in the previous showing, and etc.

Dune Part I was the last film I watched at the theatre (thus far). It would take Dune Part II to lure me back. Special films that are driven by their sprawling visual splendor deserve to be experienced on the big screen. 2001 A Space Odessy, Star Wars (all three of them), Blade Runner, Stargate, Jurassic Park, 5th Element, Avatar, Prometheus, Mad Max: Fury Road, Interstellar, Gravity, The Martian, Blade Runner 2049, Dune. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, if not many.

The group that wants to win will always beat the group that wants to be left alone.

• Official Post

Well right now I'm listening to this morning show person I think you might be a music critic, and he saw the movie already and he's not allowed to say anything about it but he keeps raving about how great it is. And he said the story is great. Which I thought would be bad the story? But he said that he keeps thinking about how amazing the story is.

We will see. To me it sounded like a whole cheesy premise like we need to get Maverick back here to save the country. But maybe I'm just being stupid.

This guy really really liked it.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I'm set up to watch the new Top Gun at a B&B theater with ScreenX. I don't expect much from the movie plot but the flying scenes should be pretty good in ScreenX.

ScreenX | B&B Theatres (bbtheatres.com)

Ward Carrol (Youtuber now, former F14B/D RIO, he was also editor at the We Are the Mighty website, and I believe the "Military.com" website previous to that...good channel if by some chance anyone has missed out so far) saw Top Gun 2 according to a video he made, and although due to the media embargo he couldn't say much, he has said that the flying/video work was truly incredible. That's what I can't wait to see. The whole "girl power" fighter pilotette part where she claims "I'm the best, who are they going to find to train me", wants me to literally kick the writer in the balls, so yes, I agree, the plot and its execution may be a bit much, but the flight parts should be worth it.

• Official Post

Ward Carrol (Youtuber now, former F14B/D RIO, he was also editor at the We Are the Mighty website, and I believe the "Military.com" website previous to that...good channel if by some chance anyone has missed out so far) saw Top Gun 2 according to a video he made, and although due to the media embargo he couldn't say much, he has said that the flying/video work was truly incredible. That's what I can't wait to see. The whole "girl power" fighter pilotette part where she claims "I'm the best, who are they going to find to train me", wants me to literally kick the writer in the balls, so yes, I agree, the plot and its execution may be a bit much, but the flight parts should be worth it.

Yeah, from what I saw in the trailers, the dialog and plot looked really bad. Gay.

• So, true story. Don't recall if I've ever posted this at NK or FW; I'm old with CRS. So if you've seen it before....too bad.

Anyway, apropos to the flying between two airplanes this is kinda related.

We're up in the Baltic, I was still right seat so pre-1976. We were doing the track from Poland up a little past Estonia, 20 miles off the coastline. Back and forth for like 8+ hours. About half way through we're northbound by Latvia and the backend tells us there's a couple of Swedish Drakens off the Swedish coast doing a little ACM on each other. About the same time a couple of MiG-23 Floggers coming up out of Tallinn I think it was to look us over. The Floggers get some altitude and head our way.

The Swedes are obviously getting info on that and they turn right at the Floggers and accelerate. The Floggers get within about 20 miles of us and the Swedes close to about the same on the Floggers, slightly different direction on the intercept. The Floggers turn away as the Swedes close and stooge around 20-30 miles off our right wing but over their own commie landmass. The Swedes turn back towards Sweden and we figure they're going home.

Not so fast. The backend reports the Swedes have said they have us in sight. The AC and I are looking out all the windows trying to catch sight of them. Gary, the AC, looks aft on the left and kinda jumps in his seat. He says "quick take a look between 3 & 4!" So I look aft and there's a Draken with his canopy up between the right engines. I mean he is TUCKED IN! Wings are not that far below the nacelles. They cruise along right there for a couple minutes.

They obviously know our track as we used the same ones all the time. As we get within 30 seconds of our turn point, we're looking at them and waving bye-bye because we didn't want them hanging in through the turn. Simultaneously both sides drop about 25 feet, both roll to the outboard side and split S away. It was a truly cool thing to watch. The Floggers never returned.

Those Draken guys were just amazingly good sticks. Never a bobble the whole time they were in. It's a cherished memory.

• Official Post

That's really a great story!