What a fucked up thing to do

• Official Post

The dad and the family of this deceased woman are total fucking assholes. And the guy is a preacher. What kind of an asshole does something like this?

Her poor fiance must be going through hell.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/ar…on-fiancee-s-17235271.php

An Alabama man who planted flowers on the gravesite of his fiancee and was arrested at the direction of the woman's disapproving father was found guilty of littering this week.

About a month after Winston "Winchester" Hagans got engaged, his fiancee, Hannah Ford, was killed in a three-car crash in January 2021 that shattered what was supposed to be the happiest time of their lives. To honor the 27-year-old, Hagans placed a planter box full of fresh flowers and photos of the two of them on her grave in Auburn, Ala.

But earlier this year, Hagans was arrested on a charge of criminal littering. City officials had reassured him that he could put the planter at Ford's gravesite unless there was a complaint. Then he discovered that a complaint had been filed - by the Rev. Tom Ford, his fiancee's father.

"The police don't enforce the law unless the owner of the plot tries to do something about it," Hagans told The Washington Post earlier this year, adding that his late fiancee's father did not approve of their relationship.

Hagans was convicted Thursday on one count of criminal littering and ordered to pay about $300 in fines and court costs, the Opelika-Auburn News reported. The 32-year-old man was also given a suspended jail sentence of 30 days that will remain suspended as long as Hagans does not place any more flowers or planter boxes on his fiancee's grave.

After Hagans was found guilty, his attorney, Jeff Tickal, indicated that a written appeal would be filed within 14 days. If Hagans wins the appeal, a new trial would be granted, and the fines and court costs would be dropped.

Neither Hagans nor Tickal immediately responded to requests for comment early Saturday.

Hagans and Hannah Ford met at a coffee shop in Montgomery, Ala., and bonded over their faith, he wrote on his website. Ford's father was pastor at Grace Baptist Church in Montgomery, and Hagans's father is an evangelist in Opelika, Ala. As the couple kept running into each other at the coffee shop, Hagans said he made sure to bring a deck of cards with him so they could play games of "nines" with each other.

"We jumped through all of his hoops to be together," Hagans previously told The Post. "We had to figure out if going through the craziness was worth it. She told me, 'I can't believe you didn't just stop. You had every reason to stop. Why didn't you just move on?' And I was like, 'You're worth it; you're an amazing person.' "

When Hagans and Ford got engaged on Dec. 5, 2020, she shared on Facebook how she had cried her eyes out with "happy tears."

"I still can't believe I actually got to say YES to you!!!" she wrote. "I LOVE YOU and I simply can't wait to be your WIFE!!!!!"

• There's always the other side of the story:

"On Thursday, Tom Ford testified in the nonjury trial at Auburn Municipal Court that Hagans had placed a total of 10 planter boxes on the grave since May 2021, which the father either discarded or sent back to the man who would have been his son-in-law.

"The first box, when I saw where it was, I picked it up and it fell apart," Ford said, according to the Opelika-Auburn News. "It was a rotten piece of wood with some pictures on it, so I discarded it."

Ford testified that the cemetery has regulations on what can be placed at a gravesite. City Prosecutor Justin Clark noted that these regulations outline how "benches, urns, boxes, shells, toys and other similar articles are not permitted to be placed or maintained on any lot of grave in said cemetery."

Neither Ford nor Clark immediately responded to requests for comment.

Ford acknowledged in court that he "certainly did not" approve of the relationship between his daughter and Hagans, adding that he only found out about their engagement from other people. He said he had asked a friend to tell Hagans to "please not put [planter boxes] there anymore, that they weren't wanted, and that they weren't allowed by the city." When the seventh, eighth and ninth planter boxes were removed, Ford filed a criminal complaint with the Auburn Police Department. A 10th planter box was found after the complaint was filed, he said.

Sounds to me like the fiance is being intentionally antagonistic. He knows they are not allowed by the city, but he is doing it anyway in an attempt to get the father in trouble. Doesn't excuse the father for being such a jerk as to not allow the man to attend the funeral, but he's within his rights to make sure the authorities understand he is not the one responsible for the violations at the gravesite.

Neither have acted lovingly nor do they appear to have forgiven. That's a shame.

Brauno in a previous life, followed by LTARget. E25280 on the Forum.

SWtarget in last AH in game incarnation.

"Proudly drawing fire so my brothers may pass unharmed."

Brauno in World of Tanks.

"What is, is. What was, will be. What will be, was, but will be again." - Horseshack from Welcome Back Kotter

• A drummer friend of mine recently passed after a long string of bad luck including a couple strokes and a life-long disregard for the wellbeing of his personal vessel. His former girlfriend or someone has hijacked his facebook account and is currently slandering those that they feel "killed" him. My comment... "I'm not sure this is the right place for this."

Now I'M the asshole.