All the green energy discussions

• Lets talk about electricity for a moment. So many people are ranting about how electricity will save the environment as an alternative to fossil fuels. In one hand, they make a pretty good point, in the other that idea crumbles in the face of reality.

1. Electric vehicles will save the average consumer lots of money over time. Yeah, sure. And when power companies start lobbying states to increase rates because of the higher demand who is going to stop the power companies from raising rates? Power companies are waiting for ev's to become common. When they do new rate schedules will be proposed and those schedules will be designed to compensate the power companies for the increased usage.

2. Solar is the "save all" for consumers. It helps! It most certainly does help! But when power companies re-do rate schedules, you can bet they will argue against having to buy electricity back from small producers(that buy-back IS federally mandated in the US). Even then most people don't realize that the gee-whiz new solar panels they had installed, do NOT provide enough capacity to power their home completely during electrical outages. And where are all the people screaming about solar farms popping up where the little arlo-esque cricket whines it nightly diatribe? Those solar farms are frying the poor crickets every time said singer lands on the panels(so there might actually be an updside).

3. Power companies need to rebuild infrastructure. Power companies know this and are working hard to get infrastructure built that can withstand the demands of the consumers, But, as long as the population expands, the demand will expand, so where is a good point for infrastructure to be?

4. Wind power. That is a novel idea and it also helps. Think about this a moment, those wind turbines are rated for a particular rotation speed, so when a storm comes thru and the winds pick up, what does a power company do to protect their equipment? They shut down the wind turbines! That means nothing is being generated.

So at this point some would believe I am speaking out my arse, maybe so, but each point is valid and there are others to be made. But, I am NOT looking forward to a "green energy" future. I see power bills replacing high fossil fuel prices. I see power outages lasting longer than they do today. I see people in need when they shouldn't be.

Its not all doom and gloom, bet you can't find one of the jonestown juice drinkers that can make that claim.......

• 7pm in east TN house is cool. The problem with residential solar is lack of research. People buy too small a system.

If we were to lose power for an extended amount of time we just have to pay more attention to when we use things. Will my 2 chest freezers and 2 refrigerators lose power... not unless there is absolutely no sun for multiple days.

I would however think long and hard about a system before pulling the trigger.