Production and Recording

• recorded this very late last night after mixing.

It's just the VERY first things that popped into my head after I selected a drum loop and his record. I sang and played into one mic going through my preamp with the compressor hitting at about -Db and that's it.

I just recorded to tracks over the same drum loop.

the first one almost sounds like a complete song already. The second one needs more fleshing out

1015jam1.wav

1015jam2.wav

• is it just me, or do the vocals sound buried in this song? Like you want to turn them up a little in the mix - to the point that it's irritating?

I find the vocals sound like it needs more presence in the EQ - like a boost in the 2-5k range.

I'm asking because I'm wondering if I'm just losing some sensitivity to higher frequencies. But I do remember feeling that way about this mix when the song came out. the whole mix sounds a little "dull" on the upper mids and highs.

Is it me?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I'm of two minds on this... I like the idea of the vocal being one of many features of a song and being treated as such. On the other hand, the lyrics should be intelligible. Maybe a mid boost? This would obviously be mixed way different if it were released today..

All Government is Organized Crime.

• It does sound like his voice has a little too much felt between him and the mic.

NONE of STP's CD's/mp3/whatever, pass the van test for me. I want to turn them all up but they sonically disintegrate into scatter about 3/4 volumn.

• I've got this thing arriving tomorrow. I got a couple of tripods today.

The plan is to do some short, live performance videos of our songs and posting on TikTok and Instagram.

I want the videos to be raw and a real performance. So I'll just song and play the acoustic. I've asked the guys to do the same - so far Tim and Travis said they'd record them playing stuff.

I'm not going to make a big production of this. Just record live with this mic right into my phone and post them. Maybe 30 second clips.

I'm worried about how old I am though - but it is what it is.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• My buddy Gary is an actual engineer (with creds!). Super smart dude. Wealth of information. He grew up in La near Muscle Shoals. Knew a bunch of cats that worked there and did some recording there as well. Our mutual friend Dave has got regionally "successful" studio up in Bellaire. His (Dave) niche is borderline regional acts who use his facility to make records on a "working vaca". Kinda stole my idea.. He likes to poor mouth and claim he'll never break even on what he's got into his studio. His wife is a regional meteorologist for NOAA. She makes the money, although Dave lives a little large for his supposed )non) income. He's got an airplane, always has a different new car, is in the process of building his second multi-million dollar house in the last ten years... Casual inquiries like "What the fuck does Dave do for a living??" go unanswered... Anywho...

He's working on a project for these guys who are "getting the band back together". They were active in the eighties/nineties and had a bunch of cassette demos finished/fleshed out/ideas that Dave is using AI to dissect back into multitracks. I don't know what software he's using but I doubt it's the same stuff that's free to use on the internet. For some reason these guys don't want to just rerecord... so they're using some elements of the original (sometimes horribly recorded demos and layering new stuff on top. They're really digging the challenge of making cohesive recordings using old tracks, some of which are nearly forty years old, along with newly recorded stuff. There are some aspects of AI that are really intriguing. Last week Gina was crying about Scott Weiland's voice being buried in Big Bang and within 20 minutes I was able to separate the vocal (to a level I would have never dreamed just a few years ago) re-EQ it it, add a bit of limit and set it back into the mix and "fix" it. To the point where you could play that song on the radio and no one would be able to tell it had been fuct with... except that you can now hear the vocals... I have posted this free cloud service before but it bears repeating. This shit is incredible. go there and upload ANY MP3. and play around with it. This is a Ryan Adams cover of a Tea Swizzle song. Check out how it even gets the reverb trails! How TF does this even work?? It's more mysterious than magnets...

Gaudio Studio | 가우디오 스튜디오
    Instrument Separation & Noraebang
    studio.gaudiolab.io