Time for a bike

• Sold my last one before the middle child was born. She just turned 30. Every time I go down to "the farm" the back roads call.

So, now I get to get my head around the stuff out there these days. Seems hard to make a bad call. Especially if brand loyalty isn't an issue.

But I gotta say, I've actually been giving serious consideration to HD. There's just so many out there. And a ton of them are in the target range, if not on the pricier end....I never would have thought I'd get another one but it seems the japs lit a fire with a few really good twins over the years. Just shows even a union shop can wake up.

Interested to see how it turns out.

• style of bike your considering, new or used?

• There are. Been eyeballing the big displacement twin baggers...Starliner, Road King, Vulcan..that triumph Rocket3 makes me smile but...

It's a good time of the year to shop. And word is there's even more slippage in prices coming. Just gonna sniff around till something can't get away.

• legs just got old on me... got myself a trike...

BUT...

that damned agent orange heart attack has my left arm going super cold if I ride in the wrong weather...

even with proper layered clothing...

when I went to the VA for blood draw early in the day while it was still cool...

they coudn't get blood out of my left arm... had to call someone in and still took em awhile...

that's how the heart attack affected me in just 1 way... there are others...

• I expect to be able to kick start the Pan for at least a few more years, when it gets to where I CAN'T, prolly sell it for $15k or so, spend $5k putting a side car on the '99 Road King. I hear good and bad things about them (side cars), I imagine you would want to avoid highway speeds

Well respected man about town doing the best things most conservatively

• I expect to be able to kick start the Pan for at least a few more years, when it gets to where I CAN'T, prolly sell it for $15k or so, spend $5k putting a side car on the '99 Road King. I hear good and bad things about them (side cars), I imagine you would want to avoid highway speeds

heard the key is setting them up... getting the alignment just so... also there is one out there that leans IIRC...

expensive though...

• yeah, the ones that are simple and fixed in place are more likely to be death traps. I see a few sites, most $5-6k for the thing, another $1.5k if you want them to install it. None go into any details about how they attach/work.

AHH, found one

The Flxible Side Car: A Different Angle on Sidecar Design
    Panhead Jim takes a look at the fascinating history of the Flxible Side Car Company.
    www.rideapart.com

<strong>Young's design allowed for much more<strong>Young's design allowed for much more

• Just get something cheap for the first 12 months to get back in the swing of it. For example, I picked up a ZZR 600 a couple of years ago for $1800 AUD (about 1300 USD) it was great just for ridding to work and a few smallish club events.

• another issue is if you make your own trikes and/or side car you will NEED a reverse system installed...

• Yeah, well,

Appreciate the feedback. But a sport bike ain't in the picture. The only city riding will be getting on and off the interstate. And without a fair bit of storage, it'll be useless.

Beyond that, I don't really have any strong preferences. A couple of Yamahas have caught my eye...as well as a few Harleys. There's so many for sale it's spooky. Tried to get into the big Hondas but they just don't really compare looks wise.

Just gotta get out and see what makes sense.

• Spent a fair bit of yesterday cleaning up the mess on my Pan from the florida trip, had NO idea the back tire is bald as fuck. Glad it didn't rain. Looking like 2 more Dunlops, NO white wall this time

• Buddy of mine turned his 2003 Road King into a trike, I don't know the details of what he did with it. Lost this right leg below the knee about 4 years ago. He stuck it out for a while