Another crappy DCS thread

• Yeah, I checked everything twice. I even added an ROE "Weapons Free". They have shot in previous runs so I know they can. Maybe one missile from one site.

The SA-2 battery isn't firing either? If not, check the directional positioning of the launchers and search/tracking radars.

To ensure the SA-2 battery is awake and ready to fire you can set up a trigger to activate the group and to turn on the AI. Also, you can set their alert status to "red" so their radar doesn't take two minutes to warm up so it can fire.

• The SA-3 is the one doing the shooting. The SA-2 sites will on occasion, if the mood suits. Try it yourself, maybe you'll have better luck. Here's another, a lone SA-2 site where the SA-3 site was. Obviously the SA-2 site shot at me in my "what's that" video.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Have you checked the direction the search radars are looking?

In one of my missions that made all the difference in the world. Many SAM radars have to be pointed in the likely direction of a threat during site setup and it's why I put multiple SAM batteries at each airfield to prevent field vulching.

• From what I found the Fan Song tracking radar was on a turn table and the missiles themselves could also be rotated 360. Still worth testing.

I found that during testing I had to approach from the direction the SAM battery was facing in order for it to fire at me.

I also had to ensure it was active, with the AI turned on and that the correct alert status had to be selected in order to avoid warm up time for the radars.

It's possible that once the above conditions are met that you could approach from any direction and still get blasted by missile fire but my trigger zones are only 4 miles in diameter currently and that doesn't afford much time to rotate radars for an initial acquisition.

• I tried it and I could see the Fan Song dish move to track the inbound but it never fired and was destroyed. I moved the F-5 start position back further and to 10,000 feet and the site did fire several missiles when the F-5 got in range. I'd have to repeat that test a few times to be sure of why it fired one time and not the other.

• I tried it and I could see the Fan Song dish move to track the inbound but it never fired and was destroyed. I moved the F-5 start position back further and to 10,000 feet and the site did fire several missiles when the F-5 got in range. I'd have to repeat that test a few times to be sure of why it fired one time and not the other.

Do post if you figure it out. ^^

• Did one more test. I pointed the tracking radar north and left the F-5 approaching from the south at the greater start distance and altitude. See the results for yourself. Not really a problem I suppose. Just need to have all the attackers begin at distance which isn't an issue.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Notice how the second missile self-destructed after the F-5 went down. There is a search radar off to the side spinning around 360. I use the pre-made templates for the SAM sites.

• Probably takes a certain amount of time for the tracking radar to track before launching. Makes sense that if the mission starts with the Fan Song pointed at the target it will be able to launch sooner than if the turn table has to spin it around.

• Did one more test. I pointed the tracking radar north and left the F-5 approaching from the south at the greater start distance and altitude. See the results for yourself. Not really a problem I suppose. Just need to have all the attackers begin at distance which isn't an issue.

Nice.

It probably does take a bit of time for the battery to be able to fire once it goes active but yours is already active from the mission start, so why doesn't it fire when you start off closer?

I chose to use multiple batteries (1 gun and 3 SAM) to defend each base because I was having difficulties getting SAM batteries to engage me unless I approached from the direction I had them facing. I also chose to start them deactivated to reduce the AI work load, instead of having a total of 16 air defense batteries all with their AI going all of the time, only the batteries at a base that is being encroached upon are active and only while enemy aircraft are in the trigger zone. Once you leave that trigger zone (assuming you survive or by getting blasted) the batteries will deactivate.

What if I only needed one SAM battery because we figured out why they aren't firing all of the time? Then I probably wouldn't need trigger zones and 16 air defense batteries. heh

• I'm going to try something.

I'm going to leave just one short range SAM battery at each base, SA-3 for the red bases and HAWK for the blue side and a AAA battery (15 guns). I'm going to start the mission with all 8 batteries active and leave them active.

I'll make a movie of it. ^^

• The SA-2 missile necessarily has a minimum range since it does not track in the 6 second boost phase. So, the search radar sees the target within 4-5 seconds of it being in range. Sends the bearing to the track radar which has to turn the turntable, then scan a more limited area until it tracks. If the target is inside the missile's minimum range, the distance it travels in 6 seconds, it won't launch.

SA-2 Surface-to-Air Missile
    Developed in the mid-1950s, the V-750 Dvina was the first effective Soviet surface-to-air missile. The Soviets used it to shoot down Gary Powers' U-2 over the…
    www.nationalmuseum.af.mil

"The SA-2 missile had a solid fuel booster rocket that launched and accelerated it, then dropped off after about six seconds. While in boost stage, the missile did not guide. During the second stage, the SA-2 guided, and a liquid-fuel rocket propelled it to the target."

• That explains why my SA-2 batteries weren't firing. Their minimum range is 5 miles and my trigger zone only had a diameter of 4 miles so by the time an aircraft breached the trigger zone it was already inside of the SA-2's minimum firing range.

I wonder how prevalent vulchin is in DCS? I guess pretty soon we'll find out. ^^