Another crappy DCS thread

• Depending on the type of attack results vary. I want these bombers to essentially carpet bomb selected areas of the base. Just can't get them to do that as a group.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Depending on the type of attack results vary. I want these bombers to essentially carpet bomb selected areas of the base. Just can't get them to do that as a group.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

We'll have to get that kind of thing sorted out.

Have you tried giving targets a priority?

• It's been a few months since I gave up trying to get a group to do what I wanted. I don't recall everything I tried. I did find that if there were no threat at all a group would strike multiple targets but not all at the same time by different planes in the group. It was stretched out as they flew around and flew around. It took me a while to figure out that's what they were doing because I was triggering an alert and sending up fighters when they got close. Once the fighters were up the bombers left and didn't attack more than one target.

• If I'd seen this sooner it would have saved me much time. Others have seen the same behavior I've noted. Setting search and destroy for a zone would work in some situations but not with carpet bombing different specified areas in one pass.

Group of 4 planes attacking different targets.
    Hi, I want a group of 4 F-5Es armed with rockets and an iron bomb to attack various planes parked at this airbase. I use the advance action "bombing" and…
    forum.dcs.world

• Another peculiarity. Carpet Bombing. The group will all drop at the same time, when the leader does, regardless as to where they are. The trick is to keep them in formation. Easier said than done as they want to do their own approach to target. As you can see here:

• This worked.

• If I'd seen this sooner it would have saved me much time. Others have seen the same behavior I've noted. Setting search and destroy for a zone would work in some situations but not with carpet bombing different specified areas in one pass.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/…acking-different-targets/

I've used "search and engage in zone", I still have fighters staying in formation and not being agressive. I wonder if changing the fighter formation would help, or just getting rid of that command/option altogether.

Now I'm going to have to stop what I'm doing and test this. ^^

• Understanding what the AI thinks and what restrictions and motivations apply to it seems necessary in order to understand how to use it in creating a mission where it is the chief opposition. This isn't documented anywhere I've seen but with enough trial and error we should be able to create challenging missions.

• I think I have my fighters fighting ferociously. ^^

First, I give all my commands/options/waypoints/otherassortedcrap to ONE plane. I'll walk through how I set up the 109 flights this time.

Once I have that aircraft set up then I add more aircraft to the flight, then copy/paste the flight as needed.

I'll get a video uploaded here in a few minutes showing how I set up the options this time. What I did see this time was flights of fighters pressing their attacks much more aggressively than in previous attempts.

Video is still uploading/processing atm.

• Understanding what the AI thinks and what restrictions and motivations apply to it seems necessary in order to understand how to use it in creating a mission where it is the chief opposition. This isn't documented anywhere I've seen but with enough trial and error we should be able to create challenging missions.

I think when using formation commands/options the AI is giving the formation priority over other things OR...other options/commands aren't being given to wingmen (even though it looks like they are).

Here's an idea that needs testing. You want to take out a series of enemy targets so you put an aircraft on the map, give it commands and one of the commands needs to include a target priority list. Then and only then, populate the flight.

I also discovered that you can't put more than one aircraft type in the same flight. I tried to split a flight of 4 into A-8/D-9... No biggie, 2 flights of 4 then.

• The SEAD mission in my Falklands campaign will need the Harrier flights adjusted in order to hit every search radar. One aircraft per radar and use the search radar as the primary target with launch vehicles as secondary targets. Hopefully I won't need to step into the Lua waters for that. ;)

• Played this one all night on my C64 once.

External Content www.youtube.com

• The AI in the Mig-15 spoiled it for me in DCS though. It does not seem to be restricted to the laws of physics. Never flew against a live person in the Mig-15 in DCS. A Vietnam terrain would more likely induce an all-nighter though. Thud Ridge for the F-105. Going downtown with a buddy in the A-6. Phantom IIs vs Fishbeds over the punji stick infested jungle. Stuff nightmares are made of.

• Exhibit A

• The AI in the Mig-15 spoiled it for me in DCS though. It does not seem to be restricted to the laws of physics. Never flew against a live person in the Mig-15 in DCS. A Vietnam terrain would more likely induce an all-nighter though. Thud Ridge for the F-105. Going downtown with a buddy in the A-6. Phantom IIs vs Fishbeds over the punji stick infested jungle. Stuff nightmares are made of.

The MiG-21 is just as bad.