Metallica buy vinyl factory as format outsells CDs for first time in US since 1987

• It makes perfect sense. It's VERY difficult to download a record from the internet, and Larz doesn't have NEARLY enough money yet.

But seriously.. I LOVE records. For two main reasons: The first is purely selfish.. I LOVE to play records, I LOVE collecting records, I LOVE holding a record jacket in my hands and reading the liner notes and looking at the pictures, I LOVE the smell of a freshly unwrapped record and finding a poster or some other knickknack extra inside, I LOVE the physical act of dropping a needle, I LOVE the mechanical aspect of the medium and the equipment required to enjoy it properly. Second... It's one of the few ways for an artist to make money without playing concerts besides t-shirts. They're difficult to bootleg and you can't push a button and duplicate it. The optical disc is a dead media and there's really no money in streaming (except for the platform), and artists (even Metallica) deserve to be paid for their work.

• If you think of streaming services as the current tech radio (which it is), you really won't be as upset that artists don't make much from it. I mean... how much does GnR make every fucking time (seventy times a day) that klos plays "welcome to the jungle"? When these artists cry about how they're getting ripped off by the streaming services, who they should REALLY be pissed at is themselves. Because it's REALLY WAY FUCKING BETTER than radio.. No record company redtape, no aye and are, no fatcats with stogies, no payola, no asshole program directors, no hipster asshole DJs... Just a direct fucking pipe right to their audiences. It's not the streaming platform's fault that they can't produce a product of enough quality to compel people to spend money on a physical copy.

• If you think of streaming services as the current tech radio (which it is), you really won't be as upset that artists don't make much from it. I mean... how much does GnR make every fucking time (seventy times a day) that klos plays "welcome to the jungle"? When these artists cry about how they're getting ripped off by the streaming services, who they should REALLY be pissed at is themselves. Because it's REALLY WAY FUCKING BETTER than radio.. No record company redtape, no aye and are, no fatcats with stogies, no payola, no asshole program directors, no hipster asshole DJs... Just a direct fucking pipe right to their audiences. It's not the streaming platform's fault that they can't produce a product of enough quality to compel people to spend money on a physical copy.

I have to be honest here, and probably because i've become an old crank. I haven't listened to anything "New" because the last time i listened to anything that may be considered popular at the time... was shit. Understand I dont have your ear and my music taste is probably simplistic.

• There's no such thing as bad taste in music. What you like it what you like.

Sluggo, this morning I listed to Radiohead the whole time I was getting ready. OK Computer. Pretty awesome.

No but you two probably can appreciate music that's produced/performed well.

Meanwhile I'll just turn it off because I think it's shit.

That said I posted that dream theater vid in the critique thread. Not to only to bust Sluggo's balls but because I like the music.

• Not a fan of DT but I can appreciate the commitment to craft. If you like them you might like a current instrumental prog metal band called Polyphia. Their guitarist Tim Hensen is quite the prodigy. Not my cuppa but someone who likes the whole virtuosic aspect may really like them.

All Government is Organized Crime.