How long until...

• Goat's not always wrong about everything (pretty close, though). The town I grew up in was a railroad/farming community. When CN Railroad bought Grand Trunk it really changed the makeup of the town but luckily it was close enough to Flint to suckle GM's big ole' corporatist titties (that's when my family moved in and locals fucking hated us and never accepted us (us being GM people from the city)). That didn't last long because all you fuckers started driving Toyotas. The town over the course of twenty-five years or so sunk into a welfare/farming community. Moreso welfare as the family farms went under and were outmuscled by the corp farms. At EVERY turn the locals have vehemently and violently opposed ANY change that may help the community. Most recently it was a secret development called "Project Tim". It had to be secret because if they did it in the open the locals would have shut it down (much earlier). An anonymous entity began buying up farmland. Some local busybodies saw it happening and started digging. It turns out Durand is in the perfect spot to be a rail (it always was a rail hub)/trucking hub. This was going to be a HUGE hub where shipping containers were stored and switched from railcars to trucks. It was easily going to bring hundreds (thousands when you consider support and retail) of good paying jobs in. It was quickly shown, however, that the generational welfare families who "just never had opportunity" liked things EXCACTLY how they were. They had protests, passed around petitions, got lawyers involved... to the point where the developers and investors said "fuck it".

• NIMBY.

Samesame as coastal people in serious need of more water resources blocking any attempt to build desalination plants or new reservoirs/dams.

It's everywhere in the US now.

• Eisenhower was kinda a blessing to my parts. I used to walk the trails of the German POWs that cleared the land here at Texoma to build the dam. North Texas and DFW depends on that flow. I bet 5% know it's value. Probably a hard target for sure.

Water is so valuable. Civics are not taught. We are bound for ruin and grief if we don't appreciate our resources and protect them. But hey, let's not get in the way of social justice.