Crush depth

• It seems childish and stupid from the outside, but what would you rather have? A piece of equipment that has been made a million times, and has been tested to stand up to THOUSANDS of hours of abuse each?

Or a custom made controller with custom components that may break, and can't be replaced?

I wouldn't be surprised if they had 2 back ups in there with them. And didn't spend more than a hundred bucks on it, total.

I can understand that argument, like I said, lots of USN ships use similar controllers to use the 25/30mm guns now, but that's different than one of the controllers being the only method of controlling propulsion/depth/etc. Logitech's controllers are pretty reliable, but still, I wouldn't want my ONLY method of controlling systems that are crucial to my survival at that depth - or any depth - to be a video game controller. Sure, in the video they said they carried "a couple" spare ones on board, but this is my point - in the dark, sitting on one of those things, or pushing off on it with a foot in pitch black conditions, could easily bust that controller. Or what if the wireless antennae on the receiver inside that sub fails or breaks off - then wireless controller= useless. I'd much rather have that as an "additional" or secondary control system, and have a dedicated built for purpose industrial level control stick mounted high near a screen in that thing, in order to avoid the exact issue I described.

Supposedly there can be a lot of fishing nets in the area of the wreck, and getting caught up in one of those would be a catastrophe. I still don't get why they don't have an arm or at least an ROV that can take action against structures/nets.

Also, I wonder how tough it is to have a strong steel cable attached to that sub, that tethers that sub to the surface at that depth, so that in a worst case scenario they can just winch it back up. I know they do that with ROVs at that depth sometimes.

Great video here, this channel I've been watching for years, worth a watch and sub-

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The guy in the video reading the waiver is a reporter who went down in that to the Titanic in December. He said they lost communications for two hours during the descent.

• Imagine them floating on the surface, but nobody can see them. They don't even have a way to open that thing to get air.

I was listening to someone familiar with the design (he went down in it before), and he said much of the systems on it sucked, but the integrity of the hull that holds the humans is basically bulletproof. He did not think there is any way that thing imploded. He thinks they are trapped in the wreck, or floating on the surface.

Me, I think they were squashed like a pan-a-cake.

• We're all mostly water. Water creatures have no air within them.

Underwater air isn't your friend. It's about equilibrium

Ah, so basically you need enough pressure inside you to push back the forces. We're calibrated for sea level oxygen forces... Go up or down from that, and the problems start.

• Imagine them floating on the surface, but nobody can see them. They don't even have a way to open that thing to get air.

I was listening to someone familiar with the design (he went down in it before), and he said much of the systems on it sucked, but the integrity of the hull that holds the humans is basically bulletproof. He did not think there is any way that thing imploded. He thinks they are trapped in the wreck, or floating on the surface.

Me, I think they were squashed like a pan-a-cake.

watching Gman's video - I would never get bolted into that thing. Not even sitting in a parking lot. Likely no ventilation. What if some of those consumer electronics started to smoke? They're fucked.

No way out of that thing.

Watch that video. The guy says carbon fiber can shatter like porcelain. The view port was only rated for 1200 meters and the company refused to certify it for lower. They declined to have a certified 4000 m version made.

I think this thing was made by young people who thought they are smarter than everyone else. Using consumer shit - especially the wireless controller. That's insane.

• Whenever you bury someone at sea the coffin utilized is holed to allow water in. However the cadaver contains some air. If the burial is in waters deeper than three hundred feet and if you're on passive listening in the sonar room you can hear the body crush.

• Whenever you bury someone at sea the coffin utilized is holed to allow water in. However the cadaver contains some air. If the burial is in waters deeper than three hundred feet and if you're on passive listening in the sonar room you can hear the body crush.

Hah Storch, as macabre as that is, that's a fantastic tidbit to add into a book. I've NEVER heard that before, crazy!

The guy from subbrief in that video is awesome. He started by writing articles for The Warzone and the site that preceded it, mostly about sonar and SSN/SSBN sonarman stuff (he's a 20 year vet, both of SSN and SSBN sonar, plus he's worked about 10 or 15 years after that doing work with subsystems contractors/etc on weapons and sonar systems). He's done some amazing videos on everything from how modern torpedoes actually work, to how the chow is on board a sub. His back catalogue can keep any Navy fan interested for months.

Anyhow, his video is great on this one.

I'm still laughing about Storch's cadaver crush depth post. I shouldn't, because I'm sure if Storch heard this himself it was a fellow sailor aboard his ship that crunched, so I do apologize and want to give honor/credit where it's due. But JFC Storch...

• I saw this video on a Sperm Whale that came to a diver in the ocean to get the guy to pull a big ass fishing hook caught in it's mouth. Then after it thanked him, and would recognize him when he went back to the spot some time later.

And they mentioned that a Sperm Whale can kill you at will with it's sonar at close to medium range with ease. They're reasonably benevolent creatures with humans it seems.