• Had no dogs for 4 years. Neighbor calls, want a free lab puppy? Sure, the kids are 9 & 10 now and need some dogs in their life. Lets go look at this puppy, which my daughters have decided we're adopting, before we've even seen it. He was a few weeks old, separated way too early.

... labrador?

He also came with free parvo. So $2500 in vet bills later he got through that and... labrador? with a white chest? ... got the Doggy DNA test done.

Pitbull, Labrador, Husky, German, Belgian, Dane, Weimarner, and residual dog dna.. feels accurate, he's got traits of all of them.

Then we ended up with my brother in law's old black lab while he was in the hospital for 4 months.

The black lab was headed home (so I thought), so using knowledge imparted to me by Toad many moons ago on FW, I got a real lab. She's kind of an asshole, but has all the paperwork to back it up and all of the hunting behaviors I was wanting in a dog. Thanks again for that one Toad!

• You're a good man for taking them all in and caring for them.

I admit I am totally biased towards Labs. I consider them the best choice.

The little one may surprise you. I would give him the basic obedience of course but also give him the opportunity to train as a retriever and bird dog. I've seen some good mongrel bird dogs. He has some Lab genes. See how it works out.

Yellow is my favorite color in Labs, btw. Yours is a good looking dog.

• The old dog is a perfect gun dog, walks in formation, just all around a good dog & influence on the pups. I just can't get her to stop jumping in the pool, she listens to everything except for that and will wait until you're not looking to go for another dive.

The mutt is a great retriever. He's twice as fast as the lab so he always gets there first, returns the dokken trainer, drops it on command. He's got a lot of potential, but I suspect he'll be gun shy. If he doesn't grab the retrieve on the first pass and I've let both dogs run for it, she gets their and body checks him into oblivion and takes it. She also robs other dogs coming out of the pond at the dog park, zero respect. At least she brings it to my hand and drops on command. She's 10 months, he's 11 months. Almost the same height but she's 2" shorter but has 15-20 pounds on him. It's been a lot, but fun.

The yellow lab has a unique look from what I've seen. She's mostly white, with a yellow-ish stripe down her back, but speckled yellow-orange "earrings". She's from Ingram's Southern Labradors.

• Lab color variations are interesting. Long ago I read a detailed description of the variations in yellows. There's something like 17 different yellow combinations that account for darker ears, lighter shoulder patches and so on. All caused by minor genetic variations in the different yellow gene sets.

eeBB =Yellow (Yy) [does not carry chocolate]

eeBb =Yellow that carries Chocolate (Yc)

eebb =chocolate pigmented yellow ~ No Black Pigment (NBP