Remastered

• I listen to Pandora most days when I'm driving back and forth across the country. A lot of my favorite songs from the '60s and '70s, they play the "remastered" versions. I always looked at remastered as getting rid of the background hiss and whatnot that you heard when CDs first came out in the '80s.

What the final product seems to be.l is there more tinty and there's a bunch of reverb at it. I can't think of the single one that sounds better after they finish with it

Well respected man about town doing the best things most conservatively

• I can't say Pandora has ever asked me about that. They have turned me on to a lot of really cool music that I never would have heard otherwise

• Yeah well,

Some records really benefit from another pass through a mastering room. But the term seems to have taken on a more nebulous definition.

Often, it seems like some new e.q. and dynamics are all that's done. I guess, like all productions, it's about budget. But with access to quality pre-masters, a lot if old records can polish up significantly.

Just depends.

• ok: Original from '77

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Remastered:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• FINALLY! SOMEone agrees with me

(They did that with "Tush" too, cannot see why, it's a 3 chord rocking blues song that could have been recorded in a small bar)

Edited once, last by Beej ().

• I just checked those mixes on Amazon HD to hear the best versions. Sometimes Youtube idiots upload shit they've "enhanced"

I found an official 2007 remaster too. It's a completely different version altogether. It's not a remaster - it's a different version but they're calling it a "2007 remaster"

But for a major artist, all of the versions sound pretty bad. Like they were taken from a cassette tape.

The fist version you posted sounds the best by far

• Aside from the ensemble talent on the record which is quite a lot the genius behind the album Layla and other assorted love songs was the great production by Tom Dowd of Criteria Studios in North Miami Beach, Florida.

• 1970 vinyl

External Content youtu.be

1990 remaster

2010 remaster