Remastered

• I hear them on Pandora, then try to find the album they picked it from. The One Brown Mouse Remaster shows as "2003 remaster from the album Heavy Horses. Looking on youboob, I see there's a 2007 remaster as well from "best of acoustic". It IS a bit different

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Well respected man about town doing the best things most conservatively

• Original:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Rerecorded (not remastered):

I appreciate the journey and how they started as a small punk band that scraped together bottle tabs to record (not literally). But the new one is much better.

• Yeah, well,

I think it's key to distinguish a remaster from a re-mix. These days it's possible to slice and dice a recording so surgically that the lines can get blurry. But as a rule, remastering will not include any extra source material in the mix. Of course, once any other audio is added and mixed, the resulting recording will then require it's own master but that's not my point.

It's a process that not only polishes the sound but makes the recording able to be produced in the format of choice along with adding data that playback devices will employ. Usually pretty subtle stuff. Most remasters are the result of someone feeling the original can benefit from a new set of ears and gear. Unfortunately many overdo it in hopes of making the new product stand out from the original..often leading to disappointing results.

Buttons are not toys.

• yes

For those who don't know, mastering is the processing of the stereo mix. Mastering is the process of making the two channel mix ( now they have Dolby Atmos - which is many channels) and making the mix ready for distribution.

Mastering is a lot more fine tuning that the mixing is. Mastering involves getting the levels correct for vinyl production, streaming and other media. Mastering is making each song on an album consistent and sounding like they all belong on the same album.

So when a studio finishes a song or album mix, that two-channel rendering goes to a mastering engineer with very specialized, high-end equipment.

Mastering will make the song more "open", louder and will allow the song to sound good on any playback device, from earbuds to giant club systems.

So when a song is remastered, they are taking the original two channel, stereo ( or mono) mix and mastering it again. Mastering is not taking the released {mastered) version of a song and tweaking it. Mastering is a whole new process that's done to the original mix. Nothing else is added. It's just processed.

• Another re-recorded favorite of mine. Keasbey Nights. Then done by the Ska supergroup Catch 22.

Catch 22 - Sick and Sad - Keasbey Nights
    Sorry I haven't uploaded more songs this week. I have been playing Facebook poker.
    www.youtube.com

Most of those members went on to another Ska supergroup called Streetlight Manifesto. When they finally got some money, they redid the album.

(I know it's slightly off topic the difference between rerecorded and remastered, but I don't care.)