freeze dried American made beef

• I've seen sanitation workers eat that out of the can in front of crossroads gas stations/minimarts once or twice.

I'm not certain I want membership in a club with standards so low as to allow me membership.

• No some hamburger looking stuff. Canned ground beef along with canned baked beans.

I can't imagine why one would not pack something from home. Working rural sucks. There really is no fast food and such unless you get into the towns.

I'm not certain I want membership in a club with standards so low as to allow me membership.

• We have family that have a beef ranch nearby, we buy either a side of beef or a full moo, which lately due to the $ of beef/etc, we've been going full cow. Bought a new extra deep freeze for the garage too at my pop's place for him and us while we're there. Filled that bitch up last week, 1/2 ground beef and the rest steaks/roast/ribs/etc. Have a new BBQ and smoker that have been put to good use. Elbow noodles are the devil, carbs, a lot of very bad carbs and sugar in those little bastards. Once in a blue moon they aren't bad though.

My usual is a lot of beef or chicken (we get those fresh from the farm too), good vegetables, and maybe some brown rice. We had people over last night, so we did burgers with toasted rye bread instead of white bread buns. Good times. Our garden is coming in too, I have a million cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, and potatoes just from the garden at our lake house. We give away 1/4 of the produce yearly, and trade 1/2 of it for other stuff locally, such as rice, and canned stuff like pickled carrots/etc. Fridges are always full, freezers always full. I'm hunting this fall for the first time in years too, going to bring in some white tail, mule deer, and hopefully an elk later, as elk is open shortly (now perhaps, it's usually first week of Sept, but the friends I go with aren't going until later, as they own a hunting lodge up on the Alberta/BC border up North). Deer I usually turn into just sausage and jerky, not big on anything else. Usually just eat the deer out at the cabin/lake in the summer months, so it'll be next year for that now, but I'll harvest the animals and have them done at our local butcher guy's place and then probably need another effing freezer. Exited to hunt this year, doing the shotgun/archery zone for white tail and mule deer right near our place. I've been flinging arrows in the back yard like Robin Hood for the last month, getting pretty good with the bow now. Of course out in the field it's unknown distance shots, so we'll see how good I actually am shortly so far as the shooting part of the hunt goes. Rifle is like cheating here, the game is so plentiful, and shotgun isn't much better, as the hunting shotgun setup I have makes 100m and closer shots a breeze too. Archery is going to be a lot harder, and thus more fun.

• My simple lunch on the road solution (in the old days) would be to keep a small bag in the trunk of the car with a small cutting board and a bread knife. I'd leave the office for lunch hour, and drive to the proverbial Safeway/Publix/Kroger. I'd grab a couple of fresh baked kaisers, and get the deli guy to cut me about 5-6 slices of deli meat (Boars Head brand was my favorite) and a couple of slices of swiss cheese. I'd then slice the bread in the car, and enjoy some great sandwiches for about $3.50, while listening to Rush Limbaugh on talk radio.

Was a nice break in the day, get away from the cocksuckers at work. Seriously, I loved it.

I do the same nowadays if I'm on a long road trip. I don't like sitting in a car for 10-12 hours if I ate some greasy fucking fast food.

• That's what happens when women move out of the kitchen, start smoking cigarettes and watch daytime TV all day in a housecoat.

That's where the casserole's came from, the 1950s women barefoot in the kitchen and husband doing 9 to 5 "business" ideal. Along with shit like this:

Take women out of multi-generational family structures in 1 home and ship them to be house slaves in the burbs and then the food goes down hill.

• Cooking has been my "hobby" if you want to call it that for the last 10 years in particular and I've become very into it in the last 2.

Well, I was always into it I guess but never made the time for it. What changed was like a switch for me. One day many years ago (20+), I walked into a good grocery store - like a Whole Foods type place where everything is premium - like amazing produce, amazing butcher counter etc. etc. I was just looking at all that stuff, and came to the realization that I rarely used any of this amazing produce, and other than steak, I never bought all these cool cuts of meat or nice produce etc. etc. I simply wouldn't have known what to do with most of it, and I was very embarrassed by this self revelation.

I then realized that in any grocery store, the good/healthy stuff - mostly raw ingredients, is around the perimeter of the store, and the garbage is all in the center aisles (box/can/bag processed crap). I started making a conscious decision to only buy stuff on the perimeter (as much as possible), and learn how to use everything in sight to make good food at home.

I don't make fancy gourmet shit, I make classics - strong basics. Make your own stocks for one, and make old time classics - French or Italian stuff for me. Think Julia Child etc. Coq or vin, beef burgandy, steak au poivre, pasta with proper bolonaise sauces, Pork Milanese, Meat Pies, Veal parmigiano and many many others. BTW, I am demo'ing the kitchen at Casa Del Slam this month... have a $20 grand gas stove coming in among other things (yeah I know... crazy - fuck it, you only live once - live hard).

That and the Smoker (BTW thanks for that old time advice Toad - I still follow it today, and yes the smoker is still going strong (have rebuilt it - the large Weber Smoky Mountain)).

• I don't make fancy gourmet shit, I make classics - strong basics. Make your own stocks for one, and make old time classics - French or Italian stuff for me. Think Julia Child etc. Coq or vin, beef burgandy, steak au poivre, pasta with proper bolonaise sauces, Pork Milanese, Meat Pies, Veal parmigiano and many many others. BTW, I am demo'ing the kitchen at Casa Del Slam this month... have a $20 grand gas stove coming in among other things (yeah I know... crazy - fuck it, you only live once - live hard).

That's basically what good fine dining serves nowadays, classic dishes from pick-your-ethnicity. You have to go out of your way to find the goofy pretentious shit.

Not crazy on the stove. Good kitchen tools are always worth it.