Radio Station Name

• I can't imagine ever, ever, ever, wanting to hear the shit that's on the charts today. Even if it cost me getting laid that music would not play in my car

Well respected man about town doing the best things most conservatively

• I like that one you posted Beej, Elephant Revival/Sing to the Mountain. Bluegrassy. I've listened to some Bluegrass. I have a couple of songs off of the Songcatcher album as well, early Scotch-Irish ballad type.

Like you, I also listen to some WW2 stuff. Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Glenn Miller, Vera Lynn; used to wash/wax the PT-19 to the White Cliffs of Dover CD.

I like to think I have a pretty wide range of tastes in music.

• I think you miss what I'm saying, or maybe you are saying modern music is shit?

Supposedly, that list represents what people are buying right now, in this musical era if you will. One would think there are a few songs in there worth a listen.

That shit that was on that chart when I was young included The Beatles. Were they shit?

For me, it's interesting that I can go back to top lists from the 40s, 50, 60s, 70s and 80s in several different genres...blues, swing, early rock, hard rock, country, Irish, bluegrass....and find a pretty large number of songs in toto that I like. I will admit that later than the 80s the pickings get pretty slim (IMO) for me.

However, I like one Sluggo posted and the one Beej put up. I mean who doesn't like women playing fiddles? ;)

I like the progression of the instruments throughout this one. Got some sailor's Hornpipe in it.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Rode Hard, Put Away Wet

Edited once, last by Toad ().

• What I'm saying is that the chart represents what YOUNG people like, just like it did when you were young and the old people were saying that it all sucked.

• Back in 2016, Billboard found that over six decades of Hot 100 history, the average age of a lead solo artist at No. 1 was 28.5. Last year, it was 26.5. And out of the five solo artists and two duos who have managed to top the Hot 100 this year, the average age is just 23.

According to Cloud Cover Music, music listening peaks among older teens and young adults, ages 16–24. As of 2020, 46% of music listeners worldwide are between the ages of 16 and 24. However, adults who are 45+ tend to buy the most music.

• Ok, so Billboard tells me what young people consider good. Since they are young, that automatically means an old bastard like me won't like it.

It represents what people are listening to the most, and young people are the ones listening the most. Therefore it follows that the songs on the charts are what young people like. Mostly.

It doesn't mean anything more than that.

The top 100 are songs that are mostly there because young people like them.

If you can get the same number of old fuckers to listen, then the chart would reflect that.

The charts are not some random thing. They are based on plays and sales. The demographics are very well known.

• Once again, you said "There's lots of great stuff"

I asked you to shoot me a couple of those that you think are great.

Got an example or two? Yeah, I understand it's YOUR taste in music. I get that. Still interested.

• off the top of my head, I like this.

I'll find more.

This album just came out. And I like things for different reasons too. So for me, I might be listening for production, or mixing, vocal sound or guitar tone.

This one I just like. Not great. But I do like it. I like that it's rock. It's a real band. It's got guitars. I like the production because it's got a lot of saturation on the drums and some of the vocals.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Something occurred to me a short bit ago, was listening to a station comprised of the 1400 or so songs I've thumbed up. (Not necessarily those exact songs but similar ones.) They were playing a George Thorogood song that I like, and ir occured to me there isn't anybody today playing music like that. He worshiped Chuck Berry and John Lee Hooker. I don't know of anybody playing straight old time rock and roll anymore, maybe. James McMurtay, I don't know

Well respected man about town doing the best things most conservatively

• these are about 5 years old. I love these songs by Post Malone

These two are great songs.

• I'm not going to make an exhaustive effort, but quickly

Of the current TOP 100

Remember, if you look at the top songs from ANY era, they're going to be full of mediocre shit.

Still.....

This song is #3.

I can see how this is a good song, It would have felt right at home on the chart in any decade from the 60s til now,\

another pretty timeless song. Sounds like it could have been on the chart from 70s onward

This is a good song

#28 I like this one

#29 - Pretty good, If you like Toby Keith, you should like this stuff. Great voice

• I just typed out a long reply and decided... No.

You're right, there hasn't been any good music made in the last thirty years. Just keep listening to Bob Seger and Jim Dandy.

That last is something I’ve never said. It’s your musical hubris talking Mr. Radiostationman.

But thanks for not posting your long an no doubt insightful reply. We, the musical untermenschen, could not possibly understand it anyway.