• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This one should be viewable at 4 PM Mountain Time.

Maybe as long as a year and a half ago I had what I thought at the time was a brilliant idea, bait kits tailored to clear, stained and muddy water conditions. I came up with 4 sets of 5 colors for each of those conditions and I did this for bass and panfish for a total of 24 kits. I put up a product page and everything. Golfer thought it was a great idea as well. Until yesterday, I never got a single order for a bait kit. When someone finally ordered a "Bass Kit" I was like...wot???? Hilarious.

Here's Bass Kit "Clear Water 1" featuring the 3" Hellgrammite.

External Content www.youtube.com

• External Content www.youtube.com

• That's awesome! I don't know how you learned how to tile that stuff but it looks so complicated

I taught myself how to tie flies years ago before YouTube was invented and this isn't much different. The biggest difference between the two is the whip finish, I used a whip finisher (a hand tool) on flies but with the jigs there's so much stuff out in front that you almost have to do it by hand. It took me two days to figure out how to do it by hand and I watched dozens of videos on YouTube.

Three things I saw that helped the most, first; a guy was using a neon green thread that made it easier to see, now I practice with a loud colored thread, 2nd; a guy used a rope and pipe to illustrate how to do a whip finish and that's when I could finally tell how the thread was being moved and the hand movements finally made sense, 3rd; another guy used three fingers, well, index/middle and thumb to tie the knot. Adding in a third digit lets you make the loop large enough to get around all that stuff you just tied onto the jighead.

The basics of fly tying are pretty simple, wrap thread on the hook shank first so the stuff you tie on later doesn't move. Making your first couple of thread wraps on any material realtively loose does two things, it makes adjustments easier and the materials are less likely to move on the hook shank. I make my second wrap slightly tighter than the first and as long as things look good I start cinching things down with the 3rd wrap.

When tying flies you are imitating various bugs and their larva, with jigs you're trying to imitate baitfish or crawdads. In this video, it was a rainbow trout imitation.

• I matched another color I saw on FaceCrook.

External Content www.youtube.com

• Something similar with grape colors would be a good choice.

You think so?

External Content youtu.be

• Texas rig that ribbon tail and hit the weeds!! It'll fish !

First bass I ever caught was on a 6" ribbon tail in red shad by Riverside Bait/Lure company. It had air pockets molded into the worm and it was an awesome idea that worked really well but they got bought out by another company and now they are no longer made.

I've considered custom molds to make my own but they'd likely cost a small fortune to make and they'd be a royal pita to laminate if not impossible with hand injection equipment.

• Are you adding tags (search words) to your videos? They are very helpful for the youtube algorithm so people find your videos.

The group that wants to win will always beat the group that wants to be left alone.

• Are you adding tags (search words) to your videos? They are very helpful for the youtube algorithm so people find your videos.

Yes, total tag characters on this latest video is 271. Optimization score for tags is 10/10 on this one.

• This one didn't turn out as well as last weeks.