Mechanical Artwork

• You'd be surprised. I have a cousin who's daddy was a sugar mill engineer. When that whole Cuba thing happened he went to work for CSR. My eldest cousin from that lot is six months older than I.

So here's these handsome swarthy Cubans, their fetching blonde wives who emigrated to Americker (SMH) . Some of their comical phrases and phraseology has stuck. They're losing that marble in mouth ecksent. They're saying Florida stuff themselves.

Influences are funny things.

I'm not certain I want membership in a club with standards so low as to allow me membership.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I was at Michigan International Speedway the summer of 1983 watching the Michigan 500 Indy race. They had the first c4 vette on display there that I ever saw. It was a radical bold change that really polarized people. I was immediately impressed. The way the top of the tire was exposed when the hood was open... The huge and wide (for the time) tires... An ultra-modern design that still somehow captured and displayed the essence of the "vette"... But I could really understand where the nay-sayers were coming from as well... "boring"... "looks like a door wedge"... They softened the edges as much as the design would allow over the body style's 13 year run but when they finally came out with the c5 it was like GM was listening to exactly what the people loved and hated about it and created the perfect vette. This was the last of the elegant understated vettes; everything from there out got more and more gaudy and more and more less like a vette. Heck... the current vette doesn't have either hideaways or round taillights AND they put the motor at the wrong end...

But this... THIS is perfection....

1*XYNIgHN8y0jvbzjRFj0kPA.jpeg

• Over the course of my life I've considered a few different vette body styles to be my favorite. When I was a kid it was felt that the current body (c3) was inferior to the legendary c2- except for a very few special editions (l88... l88... l88..) I saw one Saturday 66 big block, red with a white big block stripe, convertible with a white top, knockoffs and factory side exhaust.. I was grinning from ear to ear and followed him for a few miles until it started to get awkward.. BUT... a 68 bigblock with that huge hood scoop and the narrow chrome bumpers and those sexy front fenders... MIGHT be just as good...

HOWEVER...

I've come to the conclusion that currently (and possibly for the rest of my life) the c5 is my favorite vette. It just checks every box. It somehow gives a nod to every styling feature from each previous bodystyle with elegance in a way that could never be possible with any future versions unless there are RADICAL changes at the chevy styling dept...

he8jpxsmt8e91.jpg?width=1064&format=pjpg&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=62d1c70c7174d3f54fd4ad7baaf392b82cf92b0f

• I was at Michigan International Speedway the summer of 1983 watching the Michigan 500 Indy race. They had the first c4 vette on display there that I ever saw. It was a radical bold change that really polarized people. I was immediately impressed. The way the top of the tire was exposed when the hood was open... The huge and wide (for the time) tires... An ultra-modern design that still somehow captured and displayed the essence of the "vette"... But I could really understand where the nay-sayers were coming from as well... "boring"... "looks like a door wedge"... They softened the edges as much as the design would allow over the body style's 13 year run but when they finally came out with the c5 it was like GM was listening to exactly what the people loved and hated about it and created the perfect vette. This was the last of the elegant understated vettes; everything from there out got more and more gaudy and more and more less like a vette. Heck... the current vette doesn't have either hideaways or round taillights AND they put the motor at the wrong end...

But this... THIS is perfection....

1*XYNIgHN8y0jvbzjRFj0kPA.jpeg

I completely agree with everything!

I too was impressed by the exposed front tires and it reminded me on an indy car. I really loved those when they came out but looking back they seem not as cool - but still really a giant leap for Corvette.

The one above is my very favorite too.

The new vettes could have been SO great with the mid-engine design, but they ruined it with all the crappy hard angles and "futuristic" bullshit looks. Not classy at all. Like a gaudy pair of 80's oakly sunglasses.