Another crappy DCS thread

• I'm making my modifications to the missions by putting "client" aircraft on both the Argentine and British sides. Sadly, the British will be limited to Harrier jump jets while the Argentines will have access to F-5E Tigers, A-4 Skyhawks, MiG-21s and French Mirage F1's but will arrive nearly bingo fuel.

I'll be adding triggers as necessary also before attempting any scripting.

I do have some history working with older computer programming languages like C and Fortran plus I have a small amount of practical experience with html, xhtml and CSS. Probably juuuussssttt enough to be dangerous.

giphy.gif

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I listen to that whole thing on my drive home. I like that British guy running the whole show.

Sometimes he's to long winded. Takes 15 minutes to say something that should take 2 but that would be the only minor complaint I'd have and even then only when I'm being impatient. ;)

• An attack by the Chinese on Okinawa cannot be simulated by leaving it up to the AI in DCS though. Neither side is going to rush in slinging missiles. I still find the scenario and the way it played out interesting. Probably because I lived there for 6 years.

• I don't think the American and Japanese forces would "ant trail" into a battle like that. And I don't believe it would take nearly as long to scramble all air worthy birds as DCS took either.

I think he would have been better served to air start all units, well, except the SAM batteries of course. ;)

F-35's should have been out front using their data link to send targetting information to the F-15's. Instead they launched last.

• Another video released by RAZBAM on the F-15E . I'm looking forward to this one. Just read another third party developer is doing the F-100. Wife may have to get another part time job. ;)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I've been working on my first intro for DCS videos and the first one will be WWII stuff so to start off I made a mission with an entire B-17 wing (192 aircraft) in big Combat Box formations with 3 ship elements. When I viewed the mission this is the sort of thing that happened.

That looks cool, it really does, but it's not what I wanted for this intro clip. I've spent several days trying to figure out how to prevent that sort of thing and I've come to the conclusion that it's likely an issue with the AI, especially after watching that B-17 drop altitude and crash into another bomber.

The first time I ran the mission the B-17 wing had 12 losses, every one of them due to collisions with each other. I cut that number in half by ensuring no adjacent elements had conflicting altitudes like the two elements that essentially spawned on top of each other, yeah, that was bad. :doof

I'm going to pull a clip from this video, well, after all the mayhem calms down.

• If you have trouble like I have getting groups to behave as you want here's a workaround that works for me.

External Content youtu.be

• In this case, instead of 4 boxes making a group, I removed the 4th (rear box) from each group and things calmed the heck down.

I believe I just about have this mission complete, I just need a few more tweaks to get the fighters to be more aggressive and things should be good to go.

There are 144 B-17's, 24 FW-190A-8's, 12 Bf109k-4's, 12 FW-190D-9's and 12 P-47D's, all controlled by the AI. In addition there is one client flight for each side and currently the Yanks have 2 P-47's and 2 P-51's while the dirty Krauts have 2 each A-8 and D-9.

There are 2 Radar companies and 4 88mm Flak batteries protecting the airfield also.

• If you have trouble like I have getting groups to behave as you want here's a workaround that works for me.

External Content youtu.be

Another thing you can do is to create your group and then give them individual targets.

If you're carpet bombing, none of that is necessary. I had 192 B-17s carpet bomb a base, that's 2304 bombs...yes, I crashed the game when I did that, but they all dropped.

• I've tried a lot of different things, assigning multiple targets to a group with individual assignments. Sometimes they may each drop one bomb, even though "all" is specified. Usually most of the planes in the group just don't drop at all.