Crush depth

• Any sailor can choose burial at sea. He can select where on the planet he wants to be dumped.

It's a common occurance on destroyers and frigates.

It's a solemn ceremony with a gun salute. Very dignified.

The coffin serves as soundbox to transmit the crumple. A sonarman told me about the phenom. I attended one such event in sonar but I can't say what to distinguish from the sounds of the very noisy ocean. I took his word for it.

• I read a book a few years ago about this dude who bought a sailboat (with little experience) and went by himself all over the Caribbean. His thing was to find Blue Holes, and free dive them alone, with no equipment - and explore some of the deep caves below - all by holding his breath the outer edge of what human beings can do - both it terms of time and pressure.

More than once he lost consciousness deep underwater, and woke up floating on the surface. He cheated death many times doing other stupid shit by himself (and was lucky not to get eaten by aggressive sharks more than once). He most definately had a deathwish - I think he had been a drug addict, and somehow this was his therapy.

I love books written by people who sailed alone. Don't know why but it speaks to me. If I had more money than I ever needed and didn't have people who depend on me, I could see myself doing something like that (minus the really stupid risky shit).

• One time the guy I mentioned did a dive only 30' deep and he wasn't under long... and he just passed out without warning. He had this dream that a mermaid swam to him underwater. She was beautiful and impossibly sexy at first, but upon closer look, her skin was blue and fish like, and she had horrifying teeth like a fish... and she was negotiating with him to have sex. He wanted to but talked his way out of it - it's like he knew he'd die if he consummated the act... then he spontaneously woke up, and swam to the surface, narrowly cheating death. Freaky shit.

• I saw this video on a Sperm Whale that came to a diver in the ocean to get the guy to pull a big ass fishing hook caught in it's mouth. Then after it thanked him, and would recognize him when he went back to the spot some time later.

And they mentioned that a Sperm Whale can kill you at will with it's sonar at close to medium range with ease. They're reasonably benevolent creatures with humans it seems.

There's a vid of some people helping a humpback that was all caught up in lines. It was so happy after they freed it that it did about 50 breeches in an amazing display of power. All kinds of tail slaps and massive clicks/noises from it. I'll try and find it.

I've only scuba dived a few times, when I was 15 in Australia in 1988, a guy that had been aboard Jaques Cousteau's boat was a diving instructor at our hotel near where they took us to the barrier reef, and taught me and a few others willing to dive in the pool at the hotel, well enough to get a cert to dive with an instructor in Australian waters. So I dove the barrier reef, never very deep at all, I forget now, but we're talking like 10 feet sort of thing IIRC. Sure fun, I have friends that are mad into it, but I have a big fear of white sharks, and would never open ocean dive anywhere they could possibly be unless my life depended on it. After cage diving white sharks about 2 weeks after diving on the reef in Australia, I was like "fuck.this.shit.". Not getting in that water ever again unless I'm on a sinking ship or my plane ditches in that water.

edit - video of humpback

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I used to watch Cousteau when I was young - he was cool ass dude. If I remember his ship was the Calypso, and it was a WWII ship of some sort that they bought and converted into their research vessel. If I remember his kid died on a dive. He claimed that when he was very young, he went down in an old time diving bell and claims to have seen a squid so large, that it's eye was 6ft across (or something like that). People didn't believe him, but to the day he died he swore it was true.

Me, when I was a kid I went to the old Marineland in Ormond Beach FL. They had a giant fish tank the you could walk up to, and I did so, by myself in a giant darkened room, and inside were 3-4 massive hammerhead sharks, that just swam beside me as a walked past the glass - all of them eyeballing me like I was lunch. Scared the fuck out of me as a kid, and I've been very wary of sharks ever since.

• Holy shit!

Searchers for Titanic Tourist Sub Heard 'Banging' From Area
    A Canadian Aircraft, part of the enormous search mission looking for the missing Titanic tourists, heard 'banging' at 30-minute intervals in the area the…
    www.dailymail.co.uk

'Likely signs of life have been detected': Rescue plane hunting Titanic sub with five on board 'hears banging' every 30 minutes near wreck site, giving 'hope' the men are ALIVE - but redirected drones fail to find missing vessel

Noises have been detected from the search area of the missing deep-sea vessel near the wreck site of the Titanic as those on board face a dwindling supply of oxygen, the US Coast Guard has confirmed.

The submersible, named Titan, lost communication with tour operators on Sunday while about 435 miles south of St John's, Newfoundland during a voyage to the shipwreck off the coast of Canada.

Titan has five people on board, including British billionaire adventurer Hamish Harding, and on Tuesday the US Coast Guard estimated the 22ft long OceanGate Expeditions vessel had just 40 hours of oxygen left.

The others on board are Shahzada Dawood, his son Suleman, 19, OceanGate's chief executive and founder Stockton Rush and French submersible pilot Paul-Henry Nargeolet.

A Canadian aircraft heard noises at 30-minute intervals in the area the capsule vanished on Tuesday. The banging was noted in emails exchanged with the US Department of Homeland Security and seen by Rolling Stone, but it was not clear when they were heard.

Coast Guard officials confirmed underwater noises were heard by a plane and operations were 'relocated' to determine the origin. But as of early Wednesday, they have 'yielded negative results'.

Rescue crews will further analyze the data, which could be considered for future search plans in the deep Atlantic Ocean since the submersible launched Sunday and quickly lost contact with the surface.

Richard Garriot de Cayeux, President of The Explorers Club, confirmed in a Tuesday night social media post that 'there is cause for hope.'

He said in a statement: 'We have much greater confidence that 1) There is cause for hope, based on data from the field - we understand that likely signs of life have been detected at the site.'

• I just thought of something. The banging sound could possibly be descendantsof survivors of the Titanic. It's very possible there could have been pockets of air trapped in the wreckage and the people couldn't get out but they were able to reproduce and flourish with the food that was on board.

So I'm thinking it's a possibility to knocking that they're hearing could have been from the Titanic herself.

• They should have tied a rope to it. Look, I'm no *fingerquotes* "Marine Engineer" *fingerquotes* but a nice rope sure would have come in handy right about now. You could like, you know... pull on the other end, like hand over hand, and pull them back up to the surface.

They could be on a nice deck of a US Navy Ship, getting a tan and eating ice cream right now, but Ohhhhhh No....