What is to do be done with the dying small town?

• Here, much like the US, many small towns with more population of working age than work are dying, without the population to support large scale bis other than our version of wallmart, tech centered in the cities, and the exodus of workers to Europe. What can be done to save them?

• They need to find jobs where you can work remotely. I live in a town that has a pub and a pie shop famous for its crocodile pie. Neither of us has to go to an office or work premises. If anything, covid taught us we can base our working life from home. My wife usually has about ten jobs to choose from whenever she decides to change job being usually the first point of contact for an insurance company or the likes.

• Out here in Kansas there are many small town that just keep on existing. Some that once had a postal code, corner gas station, mom and pop store, etc.

These days city folks are willing to move out from city life to theses run down town. Just to get away from city life living. And they are willing to commute over a hour or more to work.

A lot of houses are so old and falling a part you be amazed somebody still lives in them.

• I switched to working from home in 2014 after testing the waters on/off since 2011. Seemed radical and impossible at the time, but it's been great for me. Covid had no effect on me workwise - I was very used to it.

I worked with other dudes who would take it to the next level - one guy in particular left the country and lived in a small settlement in Mexico right on the Pacific Ocean - and nobody noticed for about 5 years that he had actually left the country (LOL). Some people have groused about it but he's still doing it. More power to him as far as I'm concerned.

• Something funny about having your smart phone on the charger at home, faithfully forwarding to your burner in Tahiti - and your boss can GPS check you as being at home (LOL).

Seriously, the Mexico getaway guy I worked with was the master of that shit. He even had the the gubbermint fooled.

• I got asked about him one time by upper management - I played dumb

-"Oh, he's in Colorado".

-"Have you heard anything about Mexico ?"

-"What are you talking about, that's crazy talk".

Omerta. Never rat someone out - what the fuck. He's my hero.

His weakness was he told a couple people about it, and some jealous bitch ratted him out (oh yes I found out who - a female). Despite it all, he has managed to keep it going, and still is going strong.

My hero.

• Here, much like the US, many small towns with more population of working age than work are dying, without the population to support large scale bis other than our version of wallmart, tech centered in the cities, and the exodus of workers to Europe. What can be done to save them?

It's not the small town that's dying, but the illusion of the service industry that is on the way out.

No country in the history of the planet has EVER survived by having other countries make stuff for them.

• I don't disagree with the manufacturing exodus being abysmally short sighted and a cause. What can't be discounted is the systemic push to herd you sheeple into vertical ghettos in you blue utopian wonderlands.

I'm not certain I want membership in a club with standards so low as to allow me membership.

• Yeah well,

I foresee something of a shift towards rural living. If you don't HAVE to be tethered to a workplace or otherwise tied down, why not find somewhere better?

We've had fiber optic internet installed at our Ky. property so the wife can login there. And except for their monthly office day, she can stay at the camp as long as she pleases.

• TLDNR

In these parts, the answer to this problem is for the small towns to become sort of quaint "theme parks" for the urban/suburban hellscapes within driving distance. If you're ?lucky?, and the hellscape dwellers like you enough... they will absorb you into their fold in true borglike fashion.

Resistance is futile.

All Government is Organized Crime.