• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• So I'm listening to Matthew Perry's memoir that he released last year and he's talking about leading up to the decision to move to the US to live with his dad, You're not one of the Murrays are you slam?

slamfire

No I'm not, but I'm almost certain I knew them back in the day. I have a hazy memory of a couple of a guys with the last names of Murray - real shit disturbers (in a good way) LOL.

BTW Mathew himself taught me how to flip the lever on an IBM Selectrics typewriter "golf ball", so that when the user came around and would start typing, the typeset ball would jump out and go halfway across the room. He and I once sabotaged an entire room full of typewriters. It was his idea, not mine, but I thought it was funny as hell so I helped out.

• An oldschool Matt Perry joke (she had a different last name via divorce etc):

-"Hey Matt, what's your mom's last name:"

-"Bitch"

-"...and what's her first name ?"

-"The".

He had his sense of humor early on - he was fucking hilarious. Anyways, that's a running joke he told me back in the day. All he wanted to do was go live with his dad... he could not stand her.

• I still to this day have a similar sense of humor/sarcasm - I mean he didn't invent it or whatever, it's just our generation (time/place) - and it was a small world, we all had it. He was just particularly good at it - relentless.

We had a common teacher, a guy named Mr. Odette. He was a bad alcoholic - like red nosed, would take belts of hard liquor between classes... always slurring just a little bit, but functional (shit like that wasn't uncommon back then). You could actually smell it.

Matt coined his nickname "Mr. O.D.". (Odette/Overdose). He'd say it right to his face too. The sad thing is Matt went the same route.

• I knew a few people who knew Justin when he was young - all of them would slap him around because he was such an insufferable pussy. He was picked on pretty relentlessly. Combination that he was a privileged kid being the PM's son, but also because he was such a little worthless bitch.

I never crossed paths with Justin so I never knew him. I did meet his father once though.

• So here's the curious thing...

Matt Perry to me was funny back then - but we all were funny back then. He was by no means the funniest - he was just "normal" funny.

I found since moving to Texas, I can crack anyone up here to a level they are not used to - and I can also tell an engaging story. When I was married, I had a couple of my friends from the old days fly down for it, and they were seated at big circular table with a bunch of Texans. Well, my friends were the absolute life of the party, just cracking up everyone, making the cowboys double over in laughter. People still talk about how funny they were 20 years later. To me, that was just normal.

The biggest compliment people would say where i'm from is "He tells a great story" - meaning you can recount some misadventure and tell it in a funny or engaging way - and you might be re-telling something to people that have heard it before - or they'll say "No no, let that guy tell it he tells it better" etc. Different witnesses would tell the same story over years, and you'd figure out who could be the most entertaining with it. People were always trying to be funnier. It's not changing the facts, it's the WAY you tell the story - it art of emphasizing certain things when you speak, and they throw in a comparative anecdote (ie: "if it was raining soup he'd be running around outside with a fork" kind of thing).

It's the way the story is told, the emphasis, the timing, and the sarcasm. It's a cultural thing I guess.

Now, in that small part of the world - which was much smaller back then, our little place produced Dan Ackroyd, Tom Green, Matthew Perry - and about an hour and half away, the greatest that we've ever produced: Norm MacDonald (nobody was ever better than Norm). Go about 3 hours in the other direction, you get John Candy (no slouch!). All the above grew up in that culture, as did I and all my friends.

Everyone is funny as fuck, and quite honestly I know people I grew up with that are funnier than all the above, but they never sought fame. When I get together with old friends (when I visit), it's non stop - conversations are all about catching up, but everyone talks in that funny style of sarcasm and that knack of telling a story in a funny way. When outsiders somewhere else get a taste of it, they're doubled over in laughter (like when I bring my wife up there and she converses with my old friends). At a bar, at a table - drinking and telling the funniest fucking stories is a thing - or engaging with people and seeing who can win a battle of wits and sarcasm or put downs.

Tom Green never got to the same level as some of the others, but it's because he had a very weird sense of humor that while funny to him, wasn't usually funny to others.

One notable thing Tom came up with though is a weird kind of shock humor, and also messing with your parents. He influenced the Jackass guys a lot apparently, and Bam Margera basically copied him when it came to dealing with his own father Phil. Tom is annoying most of the time, but when he's funny, he's really fucking funny. He's a talented oddball in his own world.

I didn't always get Tom Green, but I always found when he messed with his parents, it was hysterical. His best work was IMHO, the Slutmobile gag. Keep in mind, it was done a long time ago - 94/95 tops.

Edit: hard to find a link for that one, it's been cancelled, (too politically incorrect to the LGBTQ whatever police I guess - good on Tom). BTW I didn't know Tom, but everyone I know did. My brother in law is still close friends with him today.

BTW I can pretty much guarantee everyone on that list of people above knew each other, before they got famous (with the exception of Dan Ackroyd just because he was older than everyone - ditto John Candy - different generations). It was a very very small world.

Oh I also knew a few people who did go to New York and Hollywood to take a stab at it (Comedy) - they were extremely funny people, but they didn't make it. They gave up after a while and came back home, settling into normal life. They could have made it had they stuck it out IMHO.

• Found it:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I guess it wasn't a watch...

External Content www.youtube.com

• He had his first show on community TV - like UHF. It wasn't advertised, you had to know when it was on so it was word of mouth. Tune in during the day, you'd get snow on TV - but right time at night, it would come on clear as a bell. It was a super cult following show that was local. I still have tapes of the original show that I recorded. It was like 20% of his stuff was really funny, but 80% was just un-gettable to anyone but him. Somehow they took notice of him at MTV, and he had years of varying levels of success. He's back in the Ottawa valley starting up a podcast is the last I heard of him. I'm told he matured a lot and is very down to earth.

• External Content www.youtube.com