baltimores-key-bridge-collapses-after-being-struck-by-a-container-ship

• The little video clip that I saw looks like the ship intentionally steered right into it.

Some shitbag media libs were harping that it's "aging infrastructure" and lamented that the bridge in question didn't have protective barriers. Taking a look at stock photos of the bridge, it most certainly did have them. They were out ahead, so assuming they would have worked, the Jundies steered carefully around them and rammed the bridge either on purpose, or a real comedy of errors fluke of incompetence (classic Junding).

Francis_Scott_Key_Bridge_Eastern_View.jpg

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Well respected man about town doing the best things most conservatively

Edited once, last by Beej ().

Edited once, last by Beej ().

• Pretty good video side by side of the AIS track and footage of it hitting the bridge. The departure from the planned track coincides with when it first lost power.

I have some experience with how ships work. If there is a loss of electrical power, you pretty much lose everything. We called it DIW for dead in the water and becomes a “vessel not under command”.

Ships like this most often have a single shaft so there will always be a little rudder to one side to counteract the torque of the propeller. Propeller torque tends to walk the back end of the ship around towards the direction of rotation.

So they lose power…rudder is inoperable and at the last position it was turned to. Vessel still has way on and turns uncommanded. Totally possible and probable.

External Content youtu.be

• SO: they had a harbor pilot, and there were 2 tugs (both of whom left well before it cleared the bridge)

• Like, I'm no ship guy by any stretch whatsoever, however there's one thing I know very well: Jundies.

You can say "Oh it was a System Failure" not an "Operator Error".

Wrong. With Jundies, it's always Jundies.

Jundies are totally incompetent in whatever they do. They cut corners, and shirk essential task in order to reach any desired end state as fast as humanly possible. They consider corner cutting and skipping to the finish as high intelligence (it's cultural and/or biological). It doesn't matter what the situation, you can count on Jundies always doing this, be it a mundane task, or something that is life essential.

So, that ship - the main power and backup power seems to have both failed. Both failed RIGHT out of the harbor, not like on day 10 of the journey. That tells me they didn't do any kind of checks before leaving. They just ticked the boxes and left. Those systems failed immediately, so I'm sure if they would have done whatever standard systems checks you're supposed to do, these problems would have been apparent before leaving.

Jundies also have absolutely no sense of imminent danger. These are the guys who will stroll among high voltage lines without a care in the world, or ride on the outside of high speed trains. They see grave danger obliviousness as another sign of high intelligence of just plain being clever at beating whatever system is in play.

Jundies will also neglect and ignore whatever system they are in charge of. When a system is running on day one, it will never be looked at or maintained again.

Jundies will also ignore or actively disable any security or failsafe systems that are in place. Again, this is "intelligence" to them. These are the guys who will share passwords, disable security systems, and do whatever it takes to disable something to make it easier to maintain. If the check engine light is on, they'll unscrew the lightbulb.

It's just the way they are, and whenever you put them in charge of anything, the end result will always be the same: Spectacular Failure, regardless of what safeguard and procedures are put in place...

Anyways, I'm sure they neglected whatever maintenance that should have been done, and did not do whatever checks they were supposed to do before leaving. You'll find all the paperwork falsified as well, and they will never tell the truth, no matter what.

• The same people who put them in charge of any system are the same guys who will quietly defend them to the death, and hide any of their shortcomings. They'll blame competent people for the failures, and give the Jundies all the credit for shit other people fixed. The MBA types will never admit their own failures, so they'll blame whatever competent people are around, protecting both themselves, and their Jundies.

It's just the way it is, in the great Race to the Bottom that is Globalization.

• clearest I've see yet

External Content twitter.com

• The same people who put them in charge of any system are the same guys who will quietly defend them to the death, and hide any of their shortcomings. They'll blame competent people for the failures, and give the Jundies all the credit for shit other people fixed. The MBA types will never admit their own failures, so they'll blame whatever competent people are around, protecting both themselves, and their Jundies.

It's just the way it is, in the great Race to the Bottom that is Globalization.

I hate to quote myself but Jesus fucking Christ.... here you go:

So now Joe Biden has praised this Jundie Crew as heroes. I've seen it a million times... they fuck up, and somehow they get turned into heroes. Meanwhile, people who are actually good at what they do (and had nothing to do with it - or better still fixed the actual problem) , will get blamed for it.