• The Corporation I'm a member of in Eve Online recently had a story contest to write a story about one of your experiences in Eve. I wrote this particular story about 15 minutes after it happened. I was the first person to submit a story (I found that out last night) and it took first place. First place prize was a Stratios, a Crane and 500,000,000 ISK (in-game currency). The Stratios is a cruiser-class pirate faction ship and the Crane is a specialized cargo ship called a blockade runner.

Here's my story. And here's a link to the Gila in my story. Mine is named "Monster" and it has a skin that has colors very close to a real Gila Monster.

My very first AAR where the story doesn't end with me in a new clone. Happy days right?

I was destroying Rogue Drones (pirates) in FVQF-W because the bounties for individual Rogue's was higher than in other nearby systems, presumably because there was an overabundance of them here. It's always nice when your pay gets boosted.

I spent several hours in the afternoon destroying Drones and saw very little hostile traffic through the area. Only once did I see a small gang of known enemies and I promptly recalled my drones and docked up in the local Athanor to avoid being jumped by 5 enemies at once. This evening, after taking a dinner break I left the local Athanor in search of more Drones. I found another nest of the dreadful things and promptly deployed my drones and armed my missiles. My Gila, Monster, was back in action again. I methodically cleared that nest and moved to the next one.

I'd cleared maybe half the Drones when I saw a capsuleer of unknown allegiances enter the system from a stargate. I nervously calculated the odds that it was just another passersby and elected to stay near the nest of Drones and keep killing them. I nearly lost Monster due to that decision. The capsuleer soon made his intentions known when he warped to me, scrambled my warp drive, and webified me. As soon as I saw him coming, yeah, I panicked, hardcore. With my hands shaking, I targeted him with my launchers and gave my drones new attack orders. (I believe this was the Hecate, but I'm unsure of this fact) My drones and missiles were having the desired effect even though the Hecate now seemed to be fleeing.... WAIT!!! It's NOT fleeing, it's distracting me from the other ship that just warped in! I immediately set the ships computer to target the newcomer and issued new orders to my Infiltrators. The beads of sweat on my forehead were turning to rivulets. Incredibly though...I was beating the newcomer senseless and dared to think I might not end up in a new clone, again....

Alas, the newcomer warped off just before my Infiltrators killed him, he'd survived, but only by the skin of his teeth. Now, the annoying little Hecate was back and the jerk had me webified and scrambled...but it's just the one now, right? My heart is still pounding but I'm not trembling nearly as much as I was when I first spotted the Hecate. I'm taking heavy damage from the Drones and I know I have to get clear of them somehow. Well, I started aligning Monster to the Athanor in preparation for a warp, if I could get this Hecate to either warp off, or preferably, die, I could warp away and live.

That Hecate capsuleer sure didn't like my Infiltrators because he warped off again as soon as he took damage, his ship was smoking and it looked like the hull had been breached and I was hoping that would be the last I'd see of him. I recalled my drones and started my warp to the Athanor, as I picked up speed the "newcomer" came back. I swore.

Fortunately I was able to warp away even though my drones didn't make it back to the drone bay in time. 3 million ISK gone but better that than Monster.

In the middle of my warp I looked behind me and saw them following my warp? Ha! I was already planning on docking as soon as I landed at the Athanor so you can imagine my horror when the station commander wouldn't let me dock. Again I swore, badly this time.

I made sure my afterburner was off and that my shield booster was still running, it was time to fight again. My heart was pounding in my chest as I launched another pair of Infiltrators. I checked my launchers as I targeted the newcomer, ONE $#@^%^% missile? You've &^%#$%@*%...

In panic mode again, I ordered my drones to attack the newcomer and that's when I saw just how much damage both of my antagonists had taken, both essentially only had shields left, wait....I might win? Or at least survive?!?! I glanced at my shields and I was at nearly 25% now and gaining, this after fully a third of my armor plating had been blown away early in the fight while in the rats nest. I forced each of them to warp away twice more before I realized this cycle could go on indefinitely and then I had an idea. I warped to a moon before they could warp back and webify/scramble me. On my way to the moon I gathered random coordinates and stored them. I repeated this process twice more and then warped to the first set of coordinates. I'd given my attackers the slip, I didn't win but more importantly, my attackers didn't either.

At the end, my shields were at 76% strength and gaining, I could have kept up their game all day but it was never going to end in a win for either side, not once I made it to the Athanor. I couldn't prevent them from warping away and they simply didn't have big enough guns to destroy my ship, not without help. I was able to recover all four Infiltrators and finish clearing that nest.

Sometimes I don't think this job pays enough but at least ship repairs are free.

Unknown TSSOC capsuleer

If you've written a story of any kind, please share. :)

• I might share something I'm working on in the not-so-distant future, but as someone who dabbles in writing, this is pretty much a master class in how to write a villain:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The group that wants to win will always beat the group that wants to be left alone.

Edited once, last by GeeEss ().