The Soviet Union's Deadly Abandoned Nuclear Generators

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It's hard to say who is dumber... those who designed and implemented those systems, or those moronic woodsmen who found a magical self heating metal canister.

Those things are still out there in the wild, waiting to be found LOL.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I don't watch films. I read.

Listen. In 1993 I was hiking with kids at lake Baikal. East shore. 160km from nearest human dwelling.

You mate won't ever see anything I have seen and went through.

So it goes. Every Russian male or female over 45 years old knows how to clean an automat. And shoot it. Second amendment my ass. And now we have a generation of angry young men who are taught to fight.

• Nobody knows how many "Little Chernobyls" happened in the Soviet Union - there were many.

Nuclear Powered Lighthouses - what the fuck were they thinking LOL.

Well. In 1993 at Lake Baikal we were at cape Kotelnikov. There was a small lighthouse (???) - a mast maybe 6m tall with a light blinking. Our kids discovered something like a dog-house nearby, broke it and found a yellow-coloured cylinder with "Radiation" warning signs. Locals in Severobaikal'sk said there were some sailors from Black Sea Fleet (Baikal belongs to Black Sea Fleet) installed it maybe in 1975. I am sure it still works. And will work for 300 years to go.

That cylinder was maybe 0.75m in diameter and a meter long. I have negatives somewhere, developed but not printed.

• My friend, I've been to places where the lakes have no names, just satellite numbers (granted by float plane). Now as for the farthest hike I've done, it was approx 50 miles (with no civilization well beyond that in all directions - like 4 hour drive), but as much of it as possible was by canoe + portage. Northern Quebec type shit. One of the most memorable things I saw as a kid, was running into a Cree trapper (who was also way out in the middle of nowhere). He had 4 pet foxes with him, and was basically a wild man as far as I was concerned.... un braconnier (a poacher). Crazier still, he knew my father and was very happy to see him... he had not run into him for something like 15 years, and my father had a mickey (small flask of booze) with him (in case they met up, as he knew him). I learned that Crees don't like French people - they like English people, and despite being the in middle of northern quebec, it pays to speak English when you run into Crees. I petted the four foxes as they figure 8'ed around my legs. Trees, lakes, rivers, streams and thick bush. Mind numbing bush. Fucking beaver damns. Bears, Moose, Deer, Wolves, fucking bugs - whatever btdt - and back in the days when you needed to use a compass and map.

Now what I didn't see, was abandoned nuclear waste LOL, so you got me in that regard. In Russia, you do not find Nuclear Waste, Nuclear Waste finds you!

• Boroda - be honest here: if you and I were in Northern Russia, like deep in the Taiga forest, and we came a cross an old Beta-M that was opened, and still glowing red hot - if you had been drunk, and I dared you to run up to it, light one of your Gauloise Caporal cigarettes off it, and run back... would you do it ?

Would you do it for $200 US ? I'd pay to see that.

• Our IT department developed from small radiation dozes in Chernobyl. I understand pretty more than you guys do. My GrandFather was a Civil Defense tutor in Leningrad Uni.

Back in 1989 we've got a magnificent 386 - useless to play Digger.

Gauloise Caporal - did I tell it here? They don't make it for over 25 years. Damn. I have some Sovet non-filters if I want to get brain clean up to the top of the head. Acid-dry real tobacco. Real stuff. Not your virginia shit with flavors. Cuban black tobacco costs more than I can afford here. Ligeros, Monte Cristo, now it's Romeo and Julliet - 10 times more than Luckies I smoke now. I wish Gauloise Caporal or Gitanes. Now they sell soft tobacco as Gitanes.

• In Taiga you mate will get lost. So it goes. Real taiga means you walk 500m an hour. At your best. 100m is a good estimation for you. With 45kg load - carry that weight.

Whatever you have seen as a how to say it - бурелом - you walk all 4 directions.