Rotator cuff tendonitis

• You need to get the inflammation down - over the counter NSAID's - something with Ibuprofen. You should give that a couple of weeks, maybe three... and rest it as much as possible. If you're still in the same kind of pain/situation, try to get something RX - like Etodolac. The next level after that would be a cortisone shot but I would only go there if all else fails.

So at some point, (after resting it, and NSAID's), you have to transition to Physical Therapy. It's almost like things seize up and stick together - so you have to start doing basic exercises.

Laying flat on your back and making an L out of your arm - so your upper arm/shoulder goes out 90 degrees from your body, with the forearm pointing towards your feet in an L shape. Lift your forearm up and back, until the L is reversed and your fist is pointing towards your head, but at 90 degrees.

Ok, shitty diagram time: step one, and step two of the movement.

(Imagine this dude lying FLAT on his back on the floor. Note his hand position - use the same hand alignment (flat) but make a fist. Don't do a side fist - all fingers on the down side touching the ground, and back of all knuckles touch the floor in the up position.

Do like 5 sets of 30 once or twice a day. If you can't handle that much, work up to it. You have to do the motion slow and smooth and relaxed.

You may not even be able to get that angle right - you have to go 45 degrees with a limited range. That's ok - you have to keep doing what you can and it will get better.

When you start making good progress, hold a small soup can. Slowly add weight, transitioning to those mini steel dumbells you can by at any sporting good stores (Academy etc.). I'm talking like 1 or 2lb weights.

It's going to hurt if it's seized up, but it's ok if it's not bad pain, and also, it should feel much better about 15 mins after doing it - and your range of motion should improve. If it just causes harm, stop and re-evaluate. Dull pain is ok - sharp pain is not.

Now, if that really starts working for you and you have full range of motion and the weights are no longer a challenge, switch to doing one arm dumbell rows. Start with very light weight, and work on up - 5x30 reps, the increase weight and lower reps over time.

Anyways, this method works - I've used it along with many other people I've know who had shoulder issues (bursitis/tendonitis).

• Thanks dude. I've been trying PT prior to the diagnosis I just don't have the rotation. It's a weird angle problem because I can do that recommend lift with a 1/2 pood kettlebell no problem. It's like the build up is trying to slide under the cuff and it just fucking lights me up.

I know after they go clean it out it'll be 3 months of PT torture.

• Yep - that arm angle in the diagram - it's the outer limit of the natural range of motion. I bet you know like 10 different holds(+) to break a shoulder from that arm position - lot of very effective holds from that position.

• I have something like this coming. Been having frightful pain in the one spot of my neck and my general right shoulder since Christmas. Been taking any inflammatory since February, was hoping it would eventually just go away, doesn't seem that will happen. Trying to see if I can get an MRI, they're not coming off of it.

I HAVE range of motion, just as long as somebody else is dragging my arm and moving it, whatever direction it needs to go. I can pick a motorcycle engine up off the floor but as soon as I try to lift my right arm above mid-range it just all kinds of hurts

Well respected man about town doing the best things most conservatively

• My damage showed up on a regular x-ray if you haven't done that already.

The exercise Slam posted, I'm about at 45 degrees of the 90 to do it without pissing my pants or sending myself into shock. When the inflammation is really bad I have to grab my own wrist to move my arm around.