Fight of the Century?

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Even when Mike Tyson was in his prime, the tactic boxers tried to use was just to tie them up to get them tired.

I watched a video recently where they showed before and after interviews of the guys Mike Tyson knocked out. It's funny.

They would show the before interview then they would show some of the fight the highlights.

Mike Tyson would come out basically charging and pounding the shit out of them and immediately you could see the look on their face that this was real now. Lol!

• I would say himself.

Every fight he lost, he lost because he didn't show up ready for the fight - either psychologically or physically (usually both).

Past his 20s, he lived an insane lifestyle, and coasted on his talent. There's fights he didn't train for, and showed up drunk or high for, having not slept for days

I would say these days he's probably healthier now that he was in all his 30s.

• You could see when he was fucked in the pre and postfight interviews. When he was clear headed, there was no way he was going to lose a fight.

Tyson is actually a genius level IQ - yes believe it or not. If you don't know, Tyson can name just about every fight of significance in the last 200 years, and give you exact dates, rounds and details about all of them. He can also memorize many 1000s of fighter records, down to the last detail. He is one of the smartest boxing historians on earth. Even when he was a teenager, it was staggering the amount of information he memorized and could recall on demand.

When you see that thug talking insane nonsense during interviews, that's because he's high as a kite.

I think he only found peace with himself after 50. He grew up late in life.

• All true....but he couldn't take Holyfield.

Tyson was on drugs during those years - at war with himself basically. We never had a Prime Evander vs a Prime Tyson (unfortunately). The time for it would have been in the 80s. 85-87 would have been the time.

Tyson's last fights were horrific. He was finished off by nobodies... At the time I wondered if he had brain damage, but in retrospect he was just severely abusing drugs.

One thing I am fairly certain about: Tyson today would beat himself in his last two fights. He would have to do it in the 1st round, but I think he probably could. He was that fucked up in those days, and is in such good condition today (despite his age).

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• So Tyson at his very best... probably the Marvis Frazier fight.

External Content www.youtube.com

To put a little context around this, Marvis was actually a very very good boxer. Son of Smoking Joe Frazier, he was on the rise when he met Tyson - he had beaten Bonecrusher Smith, James "Quick Tillis" and Joe Bugner (all legit top 10 guys). He was very early in his career.

His only loss at that point had been to Larry Holmes. Now Holmes was in his absolute prime when they met, so it's not a shame to lose to one of the greatests of all time, especially since he was just starting his career (it was really too early in his career for that meeting).

Now, when he met Tyson... unfortunately for him, that was the Apex Predator Mike Tyson (1986 - before he got his first title).

Tyson took Frazier out in something like 20 seconds. I think maybe Frazier was able to throw three half hearted light punches before Tyson basically devoured him like a two bite taquerito. It only took something like 3 punches to take him out, with some brutal follow up shots... maybe 5 total for the whole fight.

Now, after this fight, Frazier was never the same man again - part of his soul stayed in that ring. Had he been a cat, he would have lost 8 lives right there.

When you see a fighter take a career ending beating of that magnitude, it usually happens over a long fight - in the old days, 15 rounders - where a guy takes 100s of brutal shots over many rounds... there's several knockdowns and the guy keeps getting up, and the ref (foolishly) lets it keep going.

In this case, it was a 20 second first round knockout - with a 15 round /100s of shots career ender effect - condensed into maybe 6 or 7 shots.

That's how devastating it was to fight Tyson in his prime.

He was a fucking terror.

• And exactly what Lewis did was use his height and weight to lay on him, get him tired, and knock him out. You could see Tysons frustration building through the fight.

In a 2 minute fight, I'd take it. I'd last oh, 15 seconds, and wake up paid. Beats getting choked out for free.