State of the Onion and seeing double.

• Simp, what Toad is trying to get you to figure out is…. They don’t make anywhere near the amount of power they need to offset the amount of “dirty energy” it took to make them. I have to assume those arc furnaces use a bit more power than an LED.

• used to work at a steel mill, we used gas an oxygen. gas was bought way in advance at a cheaper rate. as for a wind turbine, the ones around here are made of aluminum. can't speak for how they're made everywhere but I don't think they use steel for the blades, maybe the support is my assumption. but I do know they produce electricity to make it worth their price.

Like LS said the blades are composite made in South America. When they were pitched to the "thumb" here in Michigan they were told they're electric bill would be dramatically decreased. And that there would be many jobs created from the project. In reality neither happened. Those things are subsidized so fucking heavily the companies don't even care about cost savings. I got hooked up with and engineer when the first started putting them up. For the heating/cooling systems the were literally going online to McMaster Car and buying lengths of copper tubing and a bunch of 90 degree connections. They would hand solder it all together (like the coolant tubes on the back of a refrigerator). I told them I could make it one piece for probably 1/4 of their current cost to do it. He was excited about it but when he took it to purchasing they had no interest.

Also they were paying so much for the lease of the properties to erect the turbines on farmers were actually retiring and giving the operations to their kids.

I asked one, who's responsible for the structure when the turbine's life was over? Because I've seen the miles of rotting turbines stretched from Phoenix to Palm Springs. He didn't know so he reread his contract and got back with me. He said the company was responsible to remove the blades and the nacelle (turbine and housing) but not the tower it sits on. I said wow, so you either have to put an aviation warning lights on it and maintain it or pay potentially 100's of thousands of dollars for someone to bring in a crew and take each one down. He was dumbfounded.

A real man loves his woman every day of the month

• Just the other day... I was hooking up a couple of monitors for my boss.. The old monitors were VGA and the new ones had HDMI. I told the boss's boss that I needed two 10 ft HDMI cables to do it right. He hands me two 25 ft Monster cable HDMIs... I looked at him like Are you fucking kidding me?? He says well... what was wrong with just leaving it VGA?

Duly noted.

All Government is Organized Crime.

• Like LS said the blades are composite made in South America. When they were pitched to the "thumb" here in Michigan they were told they're electric bill would be dramatically decreased. And that there would be many jobs created from the project. In reality neither happened. Those things are subsidized so fucking heavily the companies don't even care about cost savings. I got hooked up with and engineer when the first started putting them up. For the heating/cooling systems the were literally going online to McMaster Car and buying lengths of copper tubing and a bunch of 90 degree connections. They would hand solder it all together (like the coolant tubes on the back of a refrigerator). I told them I could make it one piece for probably 1/4 of their current cost to do it. He was excited about it but when he took it to purchasing they had no interest.

Also they were paying so much for the lease of the properties to erect the turbines on farmers were actually retiring and giving the operations to their kids.

I asked one, who's responsible for the structure when the turbine's life was over? Because I've seen the miles of rotting turbines stretched from Phoenix to Palm Springs. He didn't know so he reread his contract and got back with me. He said the company was responsible to remove the blades and the nacelle (turbine and housing) but not the tower it sits on. I said wow, so you either have to put an aviation warning lights on it and maintain it or pay potentially 100's of thousands of dollars for someone to bring in a crew and take each one down. He was dumbfounded.

I can only speak on what I have seen. the blades are one piece here, seen a few that's how I know they're aluminum. see the big trucks carrying them on the freeway. I live near palm springs, farms of them I have yet to see one being abandoned. they provide our used to provide 1/2 the electricity. I first saw them back in the 80s. they still working plus they have added more. they do fail but are quickly fixed. not sure how you have seen them abandoned in palm springs. have not seen any in Phoenix, then again I have only gone there perhaps 10 or 15 times. perhaps they're on an area that I didn't pass thru.

• I can only speak on what I have seen. the blades are one piece here, seen a few that's how I know they're aluminum. see the big trucks carrying them on the freeway. I live near palm springs, farms of them I have yet to see one being abandoned. they provide our used to provide 1/2 the electricity. I first saw them back in the 80s. they still working plus they have added more. they do fail but are quickly fixed. not sure how you have seen them abandoned in palm springs. have not seen any in Phoenix, then again I have only gone there perhaps 10 or 15 times. perhaps they're on an area that I didn't pass thru.

They are actually carbon fiber/Balsa wood, maybe aluminum wrap on them at least the ones around here are. You can actually drive along and see the different generations of them. It was probably 7-8 years ago that I made the drive, I believe it was on I 10. And it wasn't close to either city it was out in the dessert in between. But there were thousands of windmills along the drive but there were hundreds in disrepair. Missing blades, rusted, what appeared to be oil running down the sides of the housings. All that were in that state appeared to be previous generations that had outlived their usefulness. Maybe they've removed and replaced most by now. It does seem foolish to leave them in "prime" wind spots taking up space. But as always, it's all about the dollars. Someone somewhere has a spreadsheet on the cost to remove vs. leaving it and moving on to a new location. Whichever is less that's what they go with. There's no thought of "saving the planet".

• Every time I drive by those windmills in palm springs, I'd say at least 25 percent of them are not spinning. There's a shitload of them though. Pretty incredible site.

They've been there for as long as I remember. At least early 1980s.

this I have seen. but they're could be many reasons other than them being broken. last time I was in palm springs was xmas. it was rare to not see one spinning.

I kind of doubt the whole story of redwing7 about seeing miles of rotting blades from phoenix to palm spring. phoenix doesnt have any wind turbines, not enough wind there. there are 5 farms but not anywhere near phoenix, and I have yet to see one rotting in palm springs. the rest of the story doesnt make sense either.

• They are actually carbon fiber/Balsa wood, maybe aluminum wrap on them at least the ones around here are. You can actually drive along and see the different generations of them. It was probably 7-8 years ago that I made the drive, I believe it was on I 10. And it wasn't close to either city it was out in the dessert in between. But there were thousands of windmills along the drive but there were hundreds in disrepair. Missing blades, rusted, what appeared to be oil running down the sides of the housings. All that were in that state appeared to be previous generations that had outlived their usefulness. Maybe they've removed and replaced most by now. It does seem foolish to leave them in "prime" wind spots taking up space. But as always, it's all about the dollars. Someone somewhere has a spreadsheet on the cost to remove vs. leaving it and moving on to a new location. Whichever is less that's what they go with. There's no thought of "saving the planet".

again I have not seen any windfarms in the middle of the desert, not along highway 10 or 40. 7 years ago my father died in new mexico. before then I had passed many times between phoenix and los angeles. on the way back we stopped in phoenix and it was hotter than hell, we found this pub that had great sandwiches and ice cold beer. we made it a point to go there every year, last time I was there was 3 years ago. no windfarms in the middle of the desert. not along highway 10, on highway 40 i believe there's 1 on kingsman or nearby. that one I have seen as we often go to laughlin or used to. but there are no wind farms working or abandoned between palm springs and phoenix, not along highway 10.

• All I know is we got off the plane in Phoenix and drove to Palm Springs. They were along the route we took.

But hey, don't believe my lying eyes or the article I posted to back it up.