Electric Chainsaws...Going Green! Any Experience?

• Need a small chainsaw for taming some of the wild landscaping previous owner left me as well as trimming in my small patch of woods.

I've decided to enroll in the Greta Thunberg Save The World school of purchasing and get a cordless electric chainsaw, plug it in and use electricity from fossil fuels to charge it. Of course there will be a net loss of energy using coal to make electricity but I'm sure Greta understands that.

Anyway, anybody have any experience or suggestions with these? My rancher friend tells me get a DeWalt. I don't need a big saw. Not dropping any redwoods. Mostly limbing off trees that have limbs in the way. Maybe take down a tree up to 6 or 8 inches max.

Rode Hard, Put Away Wet

Edited once, last by Toad ().

• I have used them on hardwoods in Hawaii. I don't remember the brand but I know the Dewalt ones and have used them too. For what you are describing, they work great and are nice and quiet.

Sharp chain is everything, of course.

You can probably get a reasonably priced inverter/solar panel setup at a Harbor freight-type place for under $200 and be able to charge those batteries off-grid.

I'm actually a little irritated I don't have that already.

I forgot about electric chainsaws.

• Thinking about one too. I do have a Milwaukee leaf blower and weed wacker and the wife loves both. And since I already have the M18 batteries and chargers for those, drill, impact, and sawzall I'll be getting their little chainsaw as well.

A real man loves his woman every day of the month

• Well I have both a gas powered and an electric chainsaw. Somebody gave me the electric one while I bought the gas powered one. I don't care much for the electric one. It doesn't saw through as quickly and cleanly. It has troubles with bigger limbs. Also I just don't feel as safe using it.

I have an electric blower which I like, but when it comes to a chainsaw I will stick with the gas powered one.

• What brand is the electric you don't like? Corded or cordless? How big are the limbs that cause trouble?

I'm somewhat sceptical but my rancher buddy says it's the best thing ever for trimming the stuff I have. He has been to my place.

• The dewalt will buzz right through something 6 inch dia......if the chain is sharp.

I would have to take a guess at how many cuts of that nature one battery would provide....but it is comparable to the number of cuts you would get out of the same battery with a circular saw.....cutting 4x4 posts and such

sharp chain! If the chain has a few dull cutters the battery will be wasted and you'll get frustrated.

• I sprung the $60 for a corded walmart saw. I have no regerts. When I'm away from an outlet, I just load my generator into my little lawn tractor trailer and go. I wish I'd done this sooner. Gas is so shitty now that for what little I use a chainsaw the carb is ALWAYS fuct. I thought about a battery powered one but this suits my needs fine.

All Government is Organized Crime.

• What brand is the electric you don't like? Corded or cordless? How big are the limbs that cause trouble?

I'm somewhat sceptical but my rancher buddy says it's the best thing ever for trimming the stuff I have. He has been to my place.

It is a Craftsman 14" corded chainsaw. I would say 4" and above is not pleasant and can be difficult to cut.

• I sprung the $60 for a corded walmart saw. I have no regerts. When I'm away from an outlet, I just load my generator into my little lawn tractor trailer and go. I wish I'd done this sooner. Gas is so shitty now that for what little I use a chainsaw the carb is ALWAYS fuct. I thought about a battery powered one but this suits my needs fine.

I can attest to the gas/carb issue and have used nothing but non-ethanol gas in all my small engines....that solves the issue as far as gas goes

• Yep on ethanol free gas. Lots of small engines around here, they ALL get non-ethanol. Never have a problem.

Sluggo, that is an option. I've got the generator and could put it in the bed of the utv. hmmm

• Michigan state law REQUIRES all road fuel to be at least 10% ethanol. The work around is the law fails to mention offroad recreational use fuel. In the last few years "rec fuel" pumps have been popping up usually (we'll see what the Biden dumbfuck tax does this next season) about $.70 extra over regular unleaded "road fuel"...

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I've got a little Milwaukee electric chainsaw that's pretty bad ass. Great for little shit where you don't need a gas rig. I've got an echo and stihl for bigger shit.

I just built a 40*14 deck and used just the chainsaw for the small cuts.