The Bitches of Aces High

• You’re right about the base hardening . That killed a lot of the fun.

In the AH beta base capture was like Ait Warrior. You landed on an enemy runway and exited and that completed the capture. It led to epic furballs right over the field. A base could change hands 3 times in a minute or two

The hardened bases catered to the war winners. Killed the game as you pointed out

• I remember paying 30 bucks a month to play it, was a lot easier after it became 15. When they came out with the p47 November, I was happier than big and shir. PIG IN SHIT. (fucking phone)That's literally the only plane I ever flew after that, I used to get 200 kills every month in it

Well respected man about town doing the best things most conservatively

Edited once, last by Beej ().

• You’re right about the base hardening . That killed a lot of the fun.

In the AH beta base capture was like Ait Warrior. You landed on an enemy runway and exited and that completed the capture. It led to epic furballs right over the field. A base could change hands 3 times in a minute or two

The hardened bases catered to the war winners. Killed the game as you pointed out

What I always liked was when everyone could get whatever it is they wanted on a map - and it was full of action and chaos. Like you could do what you felt like doing - the options were there, and while doing it, your chances of getting grief'ed out of it was low. That and not having to fly for an hour to find what you were looking for (unless you really wanted to fly for an hour, looking for something (like the enemy fleet)).

That's when anything could happen (and did). Like you might be sitting in the tower and you'd get reports that a group of 30 plus people were flying a massive formation of B24 bombers. Maybe you and your boys were about to go do something, but would you let that brazen incursion go down ? Hell no - your entire country starts going up en-masse with Me163s. Wasn't what you planned, but oh boy was it fun!

That's when the game was perfection, and like I said, I felt it was in the 2004-2005 timeframe.

Ok part of the idealism for that era was it was almost 20 years ago - all of us were in our primes then, or much closer to it than now. It was good times.

Then... things changed.

They said it got too crowded for the arena to handle it. They said they had to start making changes.

Things went downhill slowly from then on in IMHO. Nothing much changed for the better.

• I used to "order" other people to take out the ack while I stayed safe. I'd just pick some name and give him the order. lol

The best was when you'd do that voice.... almost like that cartoon character - that Droopy dog... you'd get in trouble, and plead for random people in range to drop whatever they were doing and come save you "Please! Please! Please don't let me die !" So funny people thought your were serious and really talked like that lolololololol.

46511e936bac0bcd6673d447508ea720.gif

• I remember Golfer, he flew bizjets for a living IIRC.

I paid $57 a month in CDN dollars back when AH1 was around - with my DSL it was $115 a month to play AH, which was still a deal compared to Warbirds. Still, much, much wife ack circa 2000/2001 over that. I had 3 free accounts too HTC gave us when combatsim.com did a big spread/interview when the crossed from beta to "open". Combatsim's owner was a stickler for rules, so we didn't use the free accounts for personal play, despite HT giving the thumbs up for that.

The last serious time I spent flying in AH, was pretty much all in the Ki43. Never flew over 10k, and I could pull average of 10 kills/hour, sometimes 12, and keep my k/d around 3. I really like constant furballing, and the Ki43 ensures you'll get fights. I came back from the early 99 to 2001 years in the mid/late 2000s and flew mostly with the best Spit5 pilot in the game, and learned a lot about close in fighting/angles/aggression/accuracy/etc. Flew wing with Citabria/Fester for a while too, learned a ton from him. G10/K4/262/Ki43/Spit5 = good times for me.

AKAK, always liked flying with him too. Flying B25's and busting tanks was always guaranteed hilarity, listening to tank tards wail and moan as AkAk butchered them with the 75mm. Probably the hardest I've laughed in AH was with him picking off whining GVers. Fucking SUCKS he died so young, even if he was a bit of a libtard, I still liked the guy, a lot. He was a repository of AH/gaming info, no wonder his job title was "Competitor gaming intelligence" at his big Jap gaming company job. He forgot literally nothing, not once did I ask him something he didn't immediately answer.

• What about the A-36? Every newb (myself included) who found his way to the forum bitch about it not being in game. "oh my god, not this again..." "It wasn't deployed in significant numbers." "It would suck anyways (my favorite)." "Learn to use the search feature." And yet.... nope. Those assholes refused to put it in game no matter how many people asked about it. In fact, the more that asked, the more they doubled down on how horrible an idea it was... "Players would cheat and use it against bombers!11!!" In my opinion, yet another foolishly bad business decision.

Now that I think about it, that place was full of Ass kissing gatekeepers from day 1.

• So here's one hose job that -gg- and I worked on that never got done.

So remember the Skyrr feud vs Elite Top Aces? Back then Skyrr was dueling people, beating them, and posting video after video on youtube, gloating about it like some douchebag.

Well, I did a bit of messing around, and I found a way to alter AH recorded films. In short here was what we were planning:

-gg- and I were gonna meet in the Dueling arena - it was a set up. A work... a fake duel. We'd fly like three flights, where we'd do a few convincing maneuvers, but I'd always end up winning decisively (-gg- would let me win). All the while, we would not speak on vox, but only interact on txt in PMs. -gg- would act all tough and arrogant, but then after I'd win, would admit defeat, and outlandishly praise me, and admit cheating, and basically give this big bitch out sob story yada yada. I mean really look like a little bitch, begging for forgiveness etc. Saying shit like "I wish I could be like you Slam, you're my daddy!"

I was then going to take the original AH film file, and through a proprietary super secret technique I devised at Slam Laboratories, I would edit the file and "deep fake" It. You see, so long as -gg- chose a name longer than Skyrr, I found a way so I could edit the game name on the original film. This way, -gg- became Skyrr, and since it was on the original film file (expertly altered MUAHAAHAHAHA), nobody could prove otherwise.

The plan was to release these duels on youtube - where Skyrr could say it was edited horseshit - and that would cause a big fight between he and I online, where I'd really lay into the bullshit and say "it all happened as filmed" - then he'd demand I post the originals, and to his horror, I would.

There is folks - the film doesn't lie !

Anyways, we never got around to doing it, but we were planning to and had everything ready to go. That is one of my bigger AH regrets. Should have gone through with it.

• YEah and the clincher was I'd ask for Skyrr's films, and he'd give them to me if I promised to never show them - so when he'd say it was all bullshit and reeling from my original film, I'd then post HIS original film as well (which -gg- took, and I once again deep faked).

Two sets of perfect films, from both perspectives - how could he deny that right ? We could have done a lot with that.

• He went to the Dayton thing one year, brought a RC jet (F16) Was pretty cool

Well respected man about town doing the best things most conservatively

• I think we never did it because it was a one shot deal (take the secret to your grave kind of thing LOL) - so we were always thinking about how to do it for maximum effect/embarrassment. Just got sidetracked and never actually got around to pulling it off (but everything was ready to go).

• Oh and to open the whole thing up, we were gonna film the fake duel first, then one night after everything was done, I'd go to Main Arena and challenging him to a duel in the MA. Then of course he'd go there and I'd make him wait and no-show. Then he'd come back, and call me out on that, and I'd claim HE no showed and we'd go back to the MA - and I'd make him wait again (and I'd no show).

I'd do this a few times to really get him going, then I'd dissapear for about 30 mins, then come back with the films (the results of the duel that never actually happened) ON YOUTUBE ready to be seen, and I'd announce to the arena that I flossed my teeth with him and give the URL - of course he'd go crazy denying it, and well the fun would start from there, culminating with the doped original AHF files being posted as attachments to FW or the O'Club. -gg- and I were really going to milk it.