Crush depth

• How heavy is three miles of rope? And... how much lifting power would the rope strength/winch power retain at that depth? Granted... shit's a lot lighter under water so.. kinda sounds like a question for a pencil neck with a slide rule.

All Government is Organized Crime.

• Found some footage of the "surface button" from the sub in action.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I'm guessing that thing had a hull failure and everyone died instantly, and down they sank the Davey Jones' locker. If I had to put money down, it would be on Chinese metallurgy (somewhere in the mix), but that's a guess.

I'm going with trapped on the bottom, running out of oxygen. The pressure hull was designed by the University of Washington & NASA. The rest of it is all commercial, off the shelf gear that probably failed and stranded them.

• How heavy is three miles of rope? And... how much lifting power would the rope strength/winch power retain at that depth? Granted... shit's a lot lighter under water so.. kinda sounds like a question for a pencil neck with a slide rule.

More like bored with an integral calculator. It's a 20,000 pound sub that has neutral buoyancy down at 12,000 feet so it's basically just a giant boulder to lift like 2.5 miles, with current 3 miles sounds right. Ropes won't do, you need monster steel cables, probably 1" or more diameter. Then you still have to lift it so slowly all you are getting back is bodies.

• I'm going with trapped on the bottom, running out of oxygen. The pressure hull was designed by the University of Washington & NASA. The rest of it is all commercial, off the shelf gear that probably failed and stranded them.

That's what I think now too, since they hear banging for at least 5 hours on Tuesday.

That little POS probably got stuck on something down there.

• I think I’ll start an LLC to build a new submersible to go view the Titanic and the submersible they just lost. It’ll hold twice as many people, have triple redundant CH controllers and and ELT. Oh yeah, and a rocket with 4 miles of line that will zip to the surface and float so they know where to look when things go wrong.

We’ll charge <Dr. Evil voice> Wunmeelyun dollars </Dr. Evil voice> per passenger. Who wants to invest? This could be a lucrative recurring project. We’ll raise prices every time another sub is lost.

• I think I’ll start an LLC to build a new submersible to go view the Titanic and the submersible they just lost. It’ll hold twice as many people, have triple redundant CH controllers and and ELT. Oh yeah, and a rocket with 4 miles of line that will zip to the surface and float so they know where to look when things go wrong.

We’ll charge <Dr. Evil voice> Wunmeelyun dollars </Dr. Evil voice> per passenger. Who wants to invest? This could be a lucrative recurring project. We’ll raise prices every time another sub is lost.

In all seriousness, dead and frozen people serve as a lot of the landmarks for the climb to the summit of Mount Everest.

• Finally got some useful equipment on site

Three C-17 aircraft from the U.S. Air Force reportedly landed at a cargo terminal in St. John’s, Newfoundland, carrying unmanned vehicles capable of going 19,000 feet underwater as well as two heavy-duty Hyundai winches emblazoned “6000 kg line pull,” a huge roll of cable, and two large machines that said “high voltage” on their sides, The Daily Mail reported. A forklift truck loaded the equipment onto six flatbed trucks.

The equipment was taken to a port where a ship dubbed the Horizon Arctic was scheduled to leave at midnight, although the journey to the area where Titan is submerged would take 15 hours. The Titan may be as deep as 12,000 feet below the surface and weighs 10,432 kg, so both winches would be necessary to pull it out.

Well respected man about town doing the best things most conservatively

Edited once, last by Beej ().

• If they got caught in the wreckage...

Well they had three billionaires on board (two of them Pakis). I wonder if one of them started bitching about getting his 250 grand worth, and started insisting on GET CLOSER! CLOSER! Maybe there was a mad tug-o-war with the little controller it it got dropped and broke and the sub drove right into a breach in the wreck and got wedged in.

"OH NOW YOU'VE FUCKING DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" etc. etc.

I could see this.

• "“RCC Halifax launched a P8, Poseidon, which has underwater detection capabilities from the air,” the Department of Homeland Security said in an e-mail. “The P8 deployed sonobuoys, which reported a contact in a position close to the distress position. The P8 heard banging sounds in the area every 30 minutes. Four hours later additional sonar was deployed and banging was still heard.”

Well respected man about town doing the best things most conservatively

• "“RCC Halifax launched a P8, Poseidon, which has underwater detection capabilities from the air,” the Department of Homeland Security said in an e-mail. “The P8 deployed sonobuoys, which reported a contact in a position close to the distress position. The P8 heard banging sounds in the area every 30 minutes. Four hours later additional sonar was deployed and banging was still heard.”

*guy on the ship*

"My Mom keeps banging on the fucking door.... whhhat ya fuckin' cunt ?"