Cold Water Plunge

• Anyone here doing it?

Wife and I started with just flipping the handle to cold in the shower after washing to a mini tank on the deck.

I’ve not felt this good on a regular basis in years. It’s even mellowed my mood and that’s saying something!

Started doing grounding last year, none of my joints ache anymore.

Must be something to this holistic health stuff, it’s working.

• I read once that Navy Seals take cold showers after going to "work." Basically the cold reduces inflammation of the joints, ligaments and muscles.

So I tried it out after I started exercising. I lasted 3 showers before I said, "Fuck that."

Maybe it works... I'm not brave enough to find out.

• We bought a portable.

The Ice Pod - Portable Ice Bath
    Buy the ultimate portable & affordable ice bath, simply designed to enjoy cold water therapy anywhere. Free shipping available in the United States.
    podcompany.com

Fairly inexpensive for what it is.

Don’t just start at the coldest temp, work your way down to it.

Can a Cold Plunge Really Help You Burn Body Fat?
    A recent research review suggests that a cold plunge can help reduce a particular type of body fat and lower your diabetes risk.
    www.healthline.com

First of the year, we cut out bread and dairy from the store. I make what we eat from Einkorn flour. I bought a mill to grind the berries here, so much better. We buy fresh milk from a local farm and make our own butter now. No more seed oils in the house, period. No more stealth sugars like maltodextrin or modified corn starch in our foods either. No more HFCS, period.

Cell phones are charged in another room now, away from the bed and the Wi-Fi router is turned off at night. I sleep like an old dog now, 7-8 hours straight.

I’m also doing the 30-30-30 method. 30 grams of protein and 30 minutes of cardio within 30 minutes of walking. Clothes are loose fitting, May break out the old stuff soon.

Bought something to go with our treadmill called a CLIMBR. Best I could do initially was 2 minutes 15 seconds on it. Up to 15 minutes now.

All of this began when the doctor told me I had non alcoholic fatty liver, stage 1, and it could easily be reversed through diet and exercise. That was all the motivation I needed.

You know, I could start a thread and post the stuff I’ve learned so far, if anyone else is interested.

• I’m telling you it works.

I’m not doing that nitrogen shit, ice water is cold enough. I’m down to 55 degrees at the moment, may stop there.

I had a complete physical prior to starting it. I mean complete. Ultrasound of my arteries and veins, complete picture of my heart, stress test etc. I suggest you do the same if you’re thinking about doing this. It could be dangerous for some of you older folks.

• Wife has an outdoor hot tub that she uses in the summer (costs me $100 a month to keep it at 104 degrees)

She does 5 minutes, THEN she jumps into an adjacent mini-pool with cold-ass creek water.

FUCK. THAT.

Well respected man about town doing the best things most conservatively

• I can stand 2 minutes but that’s it.

The goal is 2:30-3 minutes.

Upped my cruciferous intake as well as my proteins. While reading about fatty liver I came across articles on type 3 diabetes which is what some are incorrectly referring to as Alzheimer’s or dementia. I’ve added walnuts and Brussels sprouts to my weekly meal plan.

Bottom line is I’m not going out that way. I simply refuse. I can turn this around and I will.

Processed foods are killing us.

You should already have your garden plot tilled and ready. I’m doing raised beds and bags again.

• Take and increasingly hot shower until you're used to the water almost as hot as it'll go. And then stand there for a while and get your whole body hot and then crank it to cold. It feels great!

This is how we started out. I did let a few obscenities slip out the first couple of times but now I’m ok. Wife outright hollered.

60 is the new 40. 8)

• We have a winter festival here (dumbest idea ever) and one of the "features" is the Polar Dip. They cut a 15ish foot hole in the ice and people stand in line to jump in. A former boss of mine decided it would be good business to participate and tried to get me to join him. "Fuck that" was my reply. Let's say his attitude and enthusiasm were markedly different on his return compared to when he left. He had the thousand yard stare of someone who had witnessed something horrific. He never talked about it.

• Take and increasingly hot shower until you're used to the water almost as hot as it'll go. And then stand there for a while and get your whole body hot and then crank it to cold. It feels great!

Ha! I sauna until I'm throbbing hot and then take either an ice cold bath or shower until I'm cold. It feels great. I've been doing that for about 40 years.