Song Interpretations - Post a song, discuss the lyrics and what they mean to you

• Most excellent! I still like mine better, although many of the apects of his interpretation are valid in mine too. Blue red black and grey. Grey being an extreme of the melancholy blue... I STILL believe the lyrics are touching on a common theme in musicians of not knowing who their friends are... Here's another that explores these same themes...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Sting should get an Emmy or whatever.

I am the monster you created

You ripped out all my parts

And worst of all, for me to live, I gotta kill the part of me that saw

That I needed you more
    I hope you know we had everything

And you broke me and left these pieces

I want you to hurt like you hurt me today and

I want you to lose like I lose when I play what could have been

Oh, what could have been
    Why don't you love who I am?

What we could have been
    I am your ghost, a fallen angel

You ripped out all my parts

I couldn't care what invention you made me

'Cause I, I was meant to be yours
    I hope you know we had everything

And you broke me and left these pieces

I want you to lose like I lose when I play

I want you to lose like I lose when I play

What could have been

It's about how big sister Violet created a monster in Jinx by leaving her as a kid, to be raised by a crime lord. How Jinx loves her sister and would end the world just to be with her again, but also hate her for not accepting what Jinx has become. The song is a poignant score for the final scene of Arcane season 1.

What could have been.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

SPOILER ALERT!

Don't watch the following clip if you haven't watched the show, but want to.

Final scene:

The group that wants to win will always beat the group that wants to be left alone.

Edited once, last by GeeEss ().

• Official Post

I think Mr. Jones is his alter ego? This goes back to the balance of ambiguity that really is required for popular music lyrics to touch many people. I believe that this inner dialog (represented in these lyrics) is very common among musicians...

I never paid very much attention to these lyrics, but listening to it as though Mr Jones is his alter ego makes it interesting. That's a good take on it.

• Official Post

Will you post something by Billie Eilish that is good? I have listened to a little of her stuff and tried to watch her show on Netflix, but she seemed to be trying too hard to be a unique snowflake to me. Everything was sort of done to attact attention to herself, I quickly became turned off. Did I judge her too quickly? Maybe, I dunno. I didn't really feel like she was being genuine with people, more like she was pretending, but wanted people to think it was real.

Well, the song that I linked to. The James Bond theme that her and her brother wrote. It's a perfect James Bond them.

Extremely talented. They knew they had to have elements - a signature that everyone will know is a James Bond theme, but still be fresh and original.

So the intro chord changes on piano. Right away it gives that James Bond, melancholy/building tension vibe.

For two very young kids basically, this is amazing work.

They also made themselves write the song with the title of the movie as the title of the song, but also that it had to be SAID in the song. Not just a title, but the subject of the song.

You may not like her stuff. I think some of her stuff gets to much of the same mood, but she's only now 20 years old. I think she's a real artist. Someone who is authentic and not just putting stuff out that is flippant to her. She's real and honest from what I've seen.

Now, I'm not some huge fan of anyone really. I just think that I recognize special talent.

I think Taylor Swift is talented. Super talented, but I don't like her music.

• Official Post

I agree with #7

I think the song is about Adam, the lead singer, and the bassist from his old band (Mr. Jones) wanting to be famous. Adam has said in interviews that he and his friend went to see his friend's dad's band who was fairly famous the night he wrote the song. At the show they saw an even more famous drummer who had like three girls all over him and that is the basis for the beginning of the song that many people have been trying to figure out. Furthermore, as others have noted, after the CC got famous from this song Adam changed the lyrics around during live performances to reflect how his views on fame had changed.

The most interesting stanza from the song, in my opinion, which no one seems to be focusing on is the one about painting pictures with different colors and how his favorite color is gray and if he knew Picasso he would buy himself a gray guitar and play. This is hugely intelligent because Picasso had a lot of different periods some of them like the Blue Period and the Rose (French for Pink) Period that were defined by his use of certain colors (which in tern reflected different moods.) Both the blue and the rose period reflected the moods that characterized Picasso's life at the time ((Hence, the line all of the colors are very very meaningful). Although Adam says gray, he seems to be referring to Picasso's Blue Period, which was when Picasso was depressed and his paintings very somber as expressed in color (Blue and Blue-Green but sort of Greyish) and subject matter (beggars and prostitutes and eldery people). One of his best known paintings from this time period is the old guitarist which is probably what Adam is referring to when he writes "If I knew Picasso I would buy myself a gray guitar and play," especially because the old guitarist is barely able to play in the painting. It's also notable that Picasso was Spanish and there are references to Spainish dancing in the beginning of the song, and barrio (Spanish for neighborhood) later in the song.

Nice.

I think everyone gets the Picasso reference. That's kind of a given, I believe. In actuality, the "gray guitar" part of the line always annoyed me. I'm kind of sarcastic at times - and the first thing that pops into my mind whenever I hear that is "why would you have to know Picasso in order to buy a gray guitar?" hahaha!

• External Content youtu.be

All Government is Organized Crime.

• I didn't find a song at the link. Maybe I had the wrong link, or maybe I am confused. When I went to the link there was an interview discussing the score for the movie. I didn't listen to the whole thing though so I may have missed the song. I have never ever heard the song. I know very little about Billie and her brother. I base my judgement on about 30 minutes of watching her show on Netflix which included some of her music. I really wanted to like her which is why I tried to watch her show. 30 minutes in to the show and I was not in the least impressed. So that is where I am coming from.

Did I give her a fair shake? Probably not. My opinion is based on a very limited amount of information. Now that you have stated what you have stated I will take another look at her mostly because of your opinion of her to try and see if she is real or just pawn in a bigger game. If I was wrong, it wasn't the first time and won't be the last.

• Well I just found "No time to die" on youtoob. Dammit - you were right! I have never heard this song before and I have obviously never seen the movie. The song is WOWand goosebumps! I totally get everything you wrote in your comment now.

I judged her too quickly. There is a lesson there.

• Official Post

I could have just inserted it. lol

But I think this is very, very good

• Pretty sure this is about waiting for a drug dealer...

• This guy is getting a GREAT tone from that Mustang (I think)... I like the way they throw the Velvet Underground at the beginning. I always think of these two songs as bookends..

• External Content www.youtube.com

• Official Post

:)

I've got her album too and I like it because it's sort of ambient and relaxing. Maybe not ambient but I really like the vibe of that album but I got it I listen to it over and over again.

And mood ring is one of my favorites from the album

• External Content www.youtube.com

• Pretty sure this is about waiting for a drug dealer...

Posted this a while back. Here they are at

VanAndel arena in 2019 I think.

A real man loves his woman every day of the month