Father passed this AM

• My father passed at 75 this morning. Came as such a shock, bolt out of the blue, as 7 days ago he was as vibrant as he's been in the last 10 years, going to hockey games for the Western Hockey league team locally that's having a deep playoff run, etc. Then his kidney's began failing, then liver, than UTI and sepsis/blood infection, then congestive heart failure. I spoke with him yesterday, he knew he was in pretty serious trouble, but I got to talk for about 5 minutes before he passed out. So grateful for that. Hospital called me back after my 8 am call I made into them for a status update, around 9, and said to get there ASAP. He's about 50 miles away from his place where I'm at, no missus here right now, and my right leg is in a cast until Tuesday, and they pull your D.L. here for that. Luckily I had an aunt that was available short notice to drive me, and my pops held on, groaning/grunting in pain when we arrived there, and when my aunt starting singing to him, he calmed right down, and as I spoke to him his breathing slowing stopped over about 5 minutes. It was like he held on for me/us, he went so quickly after we got there.

Fucking sucks. We didn't always get along throughout my life, but taking care of him since my mom passed 7 years ago or so really got us reconnected. I was hoping for another 10 years with him at least.

He was a police officer for 35 years, in many various and important units in this country. Never backed down from fights, he used to love getting in them when he was a young cop apparently, became more reserved later when he was in command of others.

Hope everyone is well, I haven't been here much recently due to my own health BS, but that'll change going forward now.

• My condolences Gman.

Pretty much the same with my dad. Talked to him at 8am told him I was coming to see him. My sister had told me he wasn’t doing well. Drove 3.5 hours, saw him. Talked about 10 minutes and he went comatose. Died a few hours later.

Rips your guts out. Still think about him every day.

The really hard grief will slowly fade. Mine never went completely away.

I feel for you buddy.

• Sorry to hear this Gman. I lost my own father about 5 years ago. He was 92. Dad was a man who loved people and always opened his billfold when someone had a need. I saw him pass relatively peacefully. We wept a bit then...but could do nothing except rejoice in his life at the funeral.

Look back on the good days with gladness, and any bad memories as the natural results of human behavior. God bless you.

Shuckins

• Thanks all, really appreciate everyone's words, they mean a lot to me.

My missus gets here in a couple hours, she starting driving at 4am to get here, going to make things a lot easier for me.

Thanks again everyone.