Russia begins invasion of Ukraine - what now?

• Official Post

Not to mention that they would be pulling forces from other areas that they need to keep secure. I think they're royally fucked. The figures I've read yesterday were up to 30,000 troops have been killed.

I don't think the Russians have ever really cared about sending their guys off into a meat grinder though. That's what they do

• Pentagon: Russia still struggles to feed troops and fuel tanks three weeks into its invasion of Ukraine | Stars and Stripes

"The Ukraine Foreign Affairs Ministry on Thursday said Ukrainians had killed about 14,000 Russian troops and destroyed 86 jets, 108 helicopters, 444 tanks and 1,435 armored vehicles. The U.S. to date has been unable to verify the loss counts of either military."

While I'm sure the US has almost every recon asset in use over or near Ukraine (Drones, U2s, RC-135s, JSTARS, E-3s etc, just remember they only release the info they want to release to shape opinion.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The group that wants to win will always beat the group that wants to be left alone.

• number of russian kills or Ukrainians will never be know. I do believe thousands of russians are dead, probably hundreds if not thousands of russians captured. truth is stupid putin went to this war thinking that he had big balls, but his troops dont understand why they are there. I do think ucraine will fall, but it will be at a cost of russians who dont want to be there and eventually they will be pushed back and take their country back. but in the end the truth is thousands will die because of ego, just like any other war.

• To be fair, the WWII stuff is in Ukrainian hands, not Russian. I like those Ukrainian SF bullpups. Never seen those before.

IPI in Ukraine makes that bullpup, they call it the "Malyuk".. The Malyuk is "mostly" built with drop in AK74/etc parts, they have made them in 762/39, 5.45, and 5.56, but mostly they are in 5.45 with a proprietary in house constructed suppressor system attached or included.

• =Bows-

Greetings all, good to see you.

Hey Gscholz, I guess we finally have a bunch of vids now of the Mi24/35 being taken down by manpads. For others here, until this war, even including Syria, there was few if any vids of a Hind being destroyed by mapads systems, an interesting subject GS and I have discussed a lot on the "other" board. The Hind is a tough effing helo. But, like any battlefield mathematics, it's just a matter of time so far as up arrow ratios go. There have only been a 1/2 dozen vids or so, but some of the vids of Hinds taking it on the chin are pretty crazy. Such a shame this invasion happened, but considering the Russians stationed their best units and equipment in their "Battalion Tactical Groups", Putin's focus on new wizzy high end tech investment at the cost of training and equipping his regular army, has shown pretty negative combat performance results. Even with the best BTGs making up the spearhead of the invasion, they still took a bit of a drubbing so far - obviously so have the Ukrainians, big time. Also, as Tom Clancy once wrote, amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics. A guess Putin wasn't a fan and didn't read that.

A great article here by Justin Bronk about Russian air power and its lack of capability and performance right now. He states that the reasons for the lackluster performance of the VKS so far boil down to a few points -

https://www.prospectmagazine.c…ble-of-complex-operations

1. Russian pilots are getting 1/2 to 1/3 the flying hours that Nato pilots get. Just enough to keep basic skills proficient, and not much more than that.

2. Due to this they only fly 2 ship formations, and rarely if ever have multi group missions assembled like the West is capable of.

3. They shot off most the their stocks of precision weapons in Syria, and so far as using the rest, see point 1.

4.They have an age old Soviet problem - their focus on mobile SAM/AAA systems is a double edged sword, and they've apparently taken a lot of blue on blue (or is it red on red, haha) loses with their own surface to air defenses plinking a bunch of friendly Russian aircraft from the skies. They have had major deconfliction problems which contributes to them only flying small 2 ship formation missions instead of larger co ordinated air power missions.

• Official Post

Looks like an entire regiment was wiped out three days ago. That's fucking bonkers! A devastating blow!

I mean - -wiped out!

https://www.express.co.uk/news…-regiment-sergey-sukharev

Putin reeling as elite regiment decimated amid Ukrainian fightback- sixth top general dead

The regiment's commander, Colonel Sergey Sukharev, was also confirmed as killed during the fierce battle that raged near Kyiv on March 17, according to local reports. Reports claim that the Russian 331st Guards Airborne Regiment was destroyed after coming under fire from Ukrainian forces. The regiment is part of the 98th Guard Airborne Division and had around 2000 soldiers along with over 200 armoured fighting vehicles.

The regiment's commander, Colonel Sergey Sukharev, was also confirmed as killed during the fierce battle that raged near Kyiv on March 17, according to local reports. Reports claim that the Russian 331st Guards Airborne Regiment was destroyed after coming under fire from Ukrainian forces. The regiment is part of the 98th Guard Airborne Division and had around 2000 soldiers along with over 200 armoured fighting vehicles.

"331 airborne brigade has only one serviceman left."

OSINTdefender also tweeted: "The Russian 331st Guards Airborne Regiment of the 98th Guard Airborne Division is Claimed to have been almost Completely wiped out by Ukrainian Forces near the Capital of Kyiv.

"The only Survivors of the Battle are reported to be 1 Severely Wounded Airborne Soldier who is Currently under Ukrainian Medical Care as well as up to 100 Russian Airborne POWs that has been Captured over the last few days during the Fighting."

The 331st Guards Airborne Regiment is considered one of Russia’s elite units.

The regiment fought in both Chechen wars and some of its members were directly involved in the Donbas conflict in 2014 to 2015.

Video footage posted by the twitter account Liveuamap appears to show the aftermath of the battle.

Harrowing images depict destroyed armoured fighting vehicles and trucks scattered over the battle field, along with twisted metal shards.

The 331st is based in the Russian town of Kotroma and was led by Colonel Sergey Sukharev.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• =Bows-

Greetings all, good to see you.

Hey Gscholz, I guess we finally have a bunch of vids now of the Mi24/35 being taken down by manpads. For others here, until this war, even including Syria, there was few if any vids of a Hind being destroyed by mapads systems, an interesting subject GS and I have discussed a lot on the "other" board. The Hind is a tough effing helo. But, like any battlefield mathematics, it's just a matter of time so far as up arrow ratios go. There have only been a 1/2 dozen vids or so, but some of the vids of Hinds taking it on the chin are pretty crazy.

Yeah. Statistics have a tendency to catch up to you eventually. MANPADs have also become far more accurate, and thus more lethal than in the days of the Strela and 1st-gen Igla is A-stan. A Hind can shrug off a lot of shrapnel from proximity hits from those tiny warheads, but a direct hit is not really survivable, and no practical amount of armor can change that.

Low, slow, and noisy — The modern battlefield is an unkind place for helicopters.

External Content youtu.be

The group that wants to win will always beat the group that wants to be left alone.

• When the Russians are abandoning self-propelled artillery for the Ukrainians to salvage, this "special military operation' is very special indeed...

Edited once, last by GeeEss ().

• Hah, ya, that was the exact video I had in mind. Quite the nose plant that Hind did after being fireballed by that hit. Crazy huh. I wonder how the British Starstreak will work, the triple unit they set up on a tripod or the very large shoulder mounted unit - no explosive warhead, just the 3 high velocity kill vehicle darts. Time will tell on those too.

Hiya Gman. Good to see you here.

Hey Toad, how've you been, good to see you too!

I think Putin is really fucked.

Ditto, I think stalemate is where he's headed, which is NOT good for him or Russia. Not at all. Today Russia demanded a couple cities to surrender, and the both told Russia to eat shit.