• I haven't spreed a lot of religion on this incarnation of ICOM but I have spent the last 24 hours answering religious questions, so I am putting up this thread so there is a place for the subject. Religion, like Politics, is a divisive subject

so it should fit in just fine here.

8)

• Raised Catholic, just a non-denominational "believer" now.

Why? (and I pretty much regard all the organized religions in the same way as this)

2-vatican-wealth.jpg

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I don't like religion. I think religions are all corrupt. The people that are elders or the uppers or whatever you call them, they're only human and they're trying to translate as if they know better than you. I despise religion.

I agree. I have known you a long time. You know I don't push any kind of religion.

But you know I have spiritual beliefs and you know when I call you my friend I am telling the truth.

:love

• I'm an atheist and I've learned it's best I just avoid topics like this. 👍

I tell stories from my life. Here is a story. Once upon a time wayne met a woman, not Mary. She was interesting and she was at a friends apartment. She was sitting on the floor and laughing and rolled back and I caught a glimpse of a gold cap, or disk, in the roof of her mouth. I looked at her and said. "You work for the government and you have a telemetry system in your mouth." This was about 1970 before cell phones before inexpensive tube closed circuit TV was available.

She freaked. She wanted to know who I worked for. "I'm a street kid, I don't have a job." The conversation went on and she told me she was psychic. I told her "I don't believe in that, I believe in science." "OK, you make up a test right here and I will prove it to you." Soooo I gave her a yellow pad and a pen and had my friend take her to the bedroom and close the door. I took my pad sitting on a couch. The only one that could see what I drew was me. I drew a pattern on the paper and drew a design in every box, 6 in all. Then I called to my friend "Let her out." She walked out and handed me a copy of what I had drawn. The guess about the telemetry system turned out to be right, I was not psychic, I played with that stuff in High School.

Now, could I have been fooled? Yes. A team of intelligence operatives with a significant budget could definitely have fooled me. But why? I wasn't worth that.

It made me reevaluate my understanding of science for the rest of my life.

The point. This story had absolutely nothing to do with God or religion. If you are an atheist you still have to deal with things that are beyond your understanding.

You don't get to choose the time or place when you are confronted by these things.

Knowledge is power.

• That's how I think of my faith now also.

Count me in. One atheist and the rest of us non denominational.

You have a story. We all do.

When you tell your story it is considered your Testimony.

Etymology is the study of the origins of words.

The Latin root for testimony is testis, meaning “ witness.” “Eye witness testimony” is a phrase you will hear often in legal discussions.

(plural testes), 1704, from Latin testis "testicle," usually regarded as a special application of testis "witness" (see testament), presumably because it "bears ...

So the Bible is full of references to balls.

Now you have ammunition next time you are assaulted by someone trying to convert you to their religion.

• Atheism is just another religion. Laz said that on another BBS and he's right.

Well Atheism can be. There are some "put your Sunday cloths on and go to Church"

Atheist Churches now. You can spend years contemplating why people believe in God and why they don't.

For the most part Atheist are good people. They pay their bills and their taxes.

They risk their lives for others in an emergency. The stereotypes are just wrong.